ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Multibooting and Partitioning Experiments

<< < (5/10) > >>

wolf.b:
Thanks for the hint, Armando!
I have downloaded the ISO images already and found that the CDs do not run on my virtual machine. :(
So I just burn them for real and see how it goes. BTW is the file ubuntu-7.10-desktop-i386.iso the correct version to be used as a live CD?

Armando:
So I just burn them for real and see how it goes. -wolf.b (October 27, 2007, 12:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

IMHO, this is the simplest way to do it.

BTW is the file ubuntu-7.10-desktop-i386.iso the correct version to be used as a live CD?-wolf.b (October 27, 2007, 12:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

If your CPU is 32-bit, yes, it should be.
If for some reasons, the Live CD doesn't function properly (X doesn't start, etc.), you can always try installing Ubuntu with the alternate desktop CD. It's not a Live CD and uses a text-based installer.

But first, try the Live CD, and look in the Ubuntu forums if X doesn't start or something like that. In many cases, it's not that hard to fix and it's much less risky than installing a new OS on your hard drive.

wolf.b:
Yes, I think my CPU is 32-bit, When I am finished with it it may well be 128 bits though  :D
I stick with the non-X ubuntu, but I am not sure about me being able to cope with a text-based installer. I have got vast experience with VMware Browser Appliance (I started it about 5 times  :) ), which is based on ubuntu. So if i am not posting anything from now til Christmas, I will post again after Christmas from inside new hardware secondary to my 32 to 128 bit conversion. Just kidding.

Armando:
I stick with the non-X ubuntu, but I am not sure about me being able to cope with a text-based installer.-wolf.b (October 27, 2007, 04:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not sure I get what you mean by that...

There's no "non X" Ubuntu per se. Only 1- a live CD version (which you can try by booting from the cd, and then later instal on your hard drive with a graphical interface, if you wish), and a version with a text based installer that you can't try first.

Like I said, try the live cd first (it's the iso you've douwnloaded). Then, if that doesn't work, you could always try the alternate desktop CD by installing Ubuntu directly to your hard drive.

PS : just in case there is some extra confusion : Xubuntu is another thing, and the name that has nothing to do with X per se. It's just a specific Ubuntu distribution (like Kubuntu, edubuntu, etc.) which is configured to use the xfce desktop environment.

wolf.b:
I am very happy to announce that this post is send from Ubuntu OS that I have started from a live CD, about 5 minutes after I burned it to CD. Thanks to Armando, who has pointed out that the desktop i386 distribution is actually a live CD. I have a monitor with 1680x1050 resolution and every single pixel is supported. And I heard some melody coming from my speakers during the boot process. [Edit: obviously my LAN works as well]

Armando, thank you for your tip. When I said "Non-X" Ubuntu I meant: Ubuntu as opposed to Xubuntu, following your advice. Sorry for that, I know that X is a very often used term in the Linux world. Just a beginner talking here.

Greetings
Wolf

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version