ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Do you use Desktop Widgets?

(1/8) > >>

masu:
Do you use Desktop Widgets?
Personally with the current CPU and RAM Power it doesn't matter, if there is an additional program in the background.
So at the moment I am playing around with Yahoo Desktop widgets, which is a nice addition to my current desktop.

It gives a slight Apple Imac Feel due to it's smooth animations.

Ralf Maximus:
The only "widget" I currently use is ClocX.
http://www.clocx.net

I used to play with Konfabulator, but when Yahoo bought 'em I sensed a change in the "feel" of the experience -- more corporate, less fun -- and dropped interest shortly thereafter.

Darwin:
I used to use Konfabulator (paid for it) then Yahoo Widgets. I found over time that as the program grew (Konfabulator 1 - 2, then to Yahoo Widgets 3 and now 4) it became increasingly resource intensive. Life Ralf, I stopped using Yahoo Widgets sometime after 3 was relesaed, but did try version 4 briefly a while back. It didn't last long. I've just doubled my RAM so was idly thinking about giving them another shot, but am not sure that I can be bothered - I can't think of any widget that I have tried that goes beyond the "gee whiz, neato" factor and can't conceive of any widget that would, either. Visually stunning, though...

I've also played with Stardock's DesktopX with the same results. In some ways, ObjectDock is the most useful to my mind. Despite having current licences for both ObjectDesktop and ObjectDock, I don't have either installed... boils down to the same rationale as for YWE - none of the widgets (or objects) really move me that much.

masu:
The only "widget" I currently use is ClocX.
http://www.clocx.net

I used to play with Konfabulator, but when Yahoo bought 'em I sensed a change in the "feel" of the experience -- more corporate, less fun -- and dropped interest shortly thereafter.
-Ralf Maximus (October 21, 2007, 07:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

thanks for the hint

the program looks good

housetier:
I don't use them, because normally I don't see them: the application covers the whole screen. The only "widget" I have is a changing wallpaper. I find such widgets, or desklets, too distracting and of questionable use for me.

However, I think userse should try as many tools and programs as they need until they have found the combination that suits them best.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version