ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

these new cheap core 2 due laptops - any good?

<< < (10/12) > >>

Darwin:
jammo - out of curiosity, did Gateway ever quote you a price on XP, or did they say it wasn't supported and leave it at that? I lust after a new notebook but not Vista...

terribleterryc:
Look fine, and smooth enough once started, but feels too heavy - but I feel the same running Vista on my AMD64x2 4400+/2gig/GF7600. I chose the standard battery pack for the lenovos (higher cell-count ones are available), last around an hour and a half doing real work.
-f0dder (October 20, 2007, 05:55 AM)
--- End quote ---
I am running Vista Business on AMD64X2 4600 and one GS 7300 and 2GB memory - identical to fOdder's machine.  This machine has a 10,000 Raptor Hard Drive and is the SMOOTHEST, most comfortable OS I have ever used for browsing.  Everything serious gets done on my XP Pro.
As was mentioned earlier, the SPEED of Hard drives is something that never occurred to me. For a battery powered laptop it would seem extremely important as long as there were not significant power requirements.

terribleterryc:
well, i paid $750 -$50 instant rebate plus another mail-in rebate of $150, so, $500 for my first laptop? not bad, this was an Office Depot deal. although for my next one will DEFINITELY be a dell. hopefully they still offer a choice of Ubuntu or XP nex year!
-jammo (November 04, 2007, 11:12 PM)
--- End quote ---
I get sales junk from Dell several times a week. Was very surprised today to see a Dell 14" vista notebook for $599.00.
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=04&kc=6W300&l=en&oc=bqdwj4a&s=bsd

Jammo the OrganizedFellow:
jammo - out of curiosity, did Gateway ever quote you a price on XP, or did they say it wasn't supported and leave it at that? I lust after a new notebook but not Vista...
-Darwin (November 05, 2007, 07:07 PM)
--- End quote ---
The rep just told me it was not supported, not recommended. He left it like that.
Imma try and call again this week. I figure if it's a few hundred dollars, it's well worth it - Vista is starting to bother me.

Ralf Maximus:
BTW ralph, do you completely discharge your battery before putting it in the freezer, or do you instead charge it ?

Thanks in advance...  :)

bumpy bumpy bump.

Darwin? Ralph?
-Armando (November 03, 2007, 12:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry, been out of town.  Shouldn't matter -- charged or uncharged.  Just enclose it in a ziplock to prevent condensation, throw it in there overnight, and let it warm up a bit the next day before charging.

The warm-up, as I understand it, isn't strictly necessary but kinder to electronics that you want to keep for awhile.  Kind of like starting your car on a sub-zero day.  In the case of a sticky harddrive as described above, I'm guessing you probably WANT the induced hyphothermic shock to wake things up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version