ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

these new cheap core 2 due laptops - any good?

<< < (9/12) > >>

Armando:
Is Nudone the official off-topic watcher ?  8)

Darwin:
Is Nudone the official off-topic watcher ?  8)
-Armando (November 03, 2007, 10:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

No - he's the OP  :)

Jammo the OrganizedFellow:
I bought a gateway 15" model with AMD turion 64 + VISTA (crrrap!!!)

I recently called Gateway and asked about UPgrading to XP Pro, and how much would they charge me, guess what Kevin (my rep) told me?
he says, " ... well sir, technically, since XP was released before Vista, it is considered a downgrade ... ".
i promptly corrected him, cutting him off, reaffirming the fact that XP is indeed AN UPGRADE.
seems he didnt understand me. Anyhoo, he states that Gateway can not recommend the installation of XP on this particular laptop, cause the hardware was/is specifically designed to work with Vista?!
i call BS?!

well, i paid $750 -$50 instant rebate plus another mail-in rebate of $150, so, $500 for my first laptop? not bad, this was an Office Depot deal. although for my next one will DEFINITELY be a dell. hopefully they still offer a choice of Ubuntu or XP nex year!

f0dder:
Jammo: it's bullshit indeed, but you might have a hard time hunting for drivers. Certainly took me a while to find everything necessary for some Lenovos.

Jammo the OrganizedFellow:
I figure the best thing i can do right now, is to create a new partition, image the current drive, and back things up.
then if XP really wont fly on here, at least i know i tried, right?!
id just need to backup these drivers, hope they work with XP.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version