ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Archivarius

<< < (5/12) > >>

superboyac:
Geez man, why do you have so many documents?  You must be a programmer...indeed, you are (I looked at your bio).  Nice!

Darwin:
superboyac - what is it that you especially like about archivarius? I'm just curious - I've tried Filehand, YDS, X1 and have recently gone back to Copernic. X1 was the best of the bunch in terms of speed and features but had all sorts of "issues", most irritatingly with Outlook (putting a notebook into standby or hibernate with Outlook minimized to the system tray - take that, Raymond Chen  :P - caused errors in both X1 and Outlook on resuming my system). Copernic is OK, but it takes quite a while to display previews of the files that it finds, which is very annoying. Perhaps I should take archivarius for a test drive...

superboyac:
superboyac - what is it that you especially like about archivarius? I'm just curious - I've tried Filehand, YDS, X1 and have recently gone back to Copernic. X1 was the best of the bunch in terms of speed and features but had all sorts of "issues", most irritatingly with Outlook (putting a notebook into standby or hibernate with Outlook minimized to the system tray - take that, Raymond Chen  :P - caused errors in both X1 and Outlook on resuming my system). Copernic is OK, but it takes quite a while to display previews of the files that it finds, which is very annoying. Perhaps I should take archivarius for a test drive...
-Darwin (April 17, 2007, 11:48 PM)
--- End quote ---
Darwin, like I said before, I'm not much of a desktop search user, so I can't discuss the details like I normally do with other software.  From what little experience I had, it seemed like Archivarius was just really lightweight, it's interface was simple, yet nothing really lacking.  It was fast (faster than x1 from my experience).  The only other one I've tried is x1, and I felt like archivarius was a little less intrusive as far as monitoring.  I don't know, like I said, I barely have any experience with these kinds of softwares.  I know a big issue with these are how compatible it is with your specific email program, etc., but I didn't even consider that.  i was only concerned about text documents, word documents, and the like.

Basically, Archivarius just felt better than x1 and I liked it right off the bat.  I base this on nothing more than a "sense" I've developed from using a lot of software.  That probably doesn't help you at all, but it's the truth in this case.

Maybe someone with more experience should do a roundup of desktop search software, any volunteers?

tomos:
EDIT: I think I need to tweak the settings of which file to index a bit... or perhaps index only part of my data. Estimate: 690'152 documents, 396.89 GB, 146.8GB index size. That's a task for tomorrow :) -f0dder (April 17, 2007, 05:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

Is that 146.8GB a typo, or
is that the norm,
that the Index size would be almost half the size of the indexed files !!! :tellme:
Would that also be the norm for other desktop searchers ?

superboyac:
I think the size of the index depends on the type of files.  For example, if you're a programmer and you have 300 GB of code, that's basically all text, so the index (which is all text) is going to be large.  But if you have a lot of word documents (text in a bloated container) then the index will be smaller.  So, it just depends on the kinds of files you have.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version