ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Windows performance tips in one spot

<< < (4/4)

f0dder:
It would be neat if you could post a page with a green, yellow or red light next to that list of items suggested for speed enhancements. Sounds like a drug deal here.  :P
-dantheman (November 05, 2007, 04:27 AM)
--- End quote ---
Sounds like too much work ;)

In reference to one of my previous posts here (is XP SP2 necessary?) i've decided to simply avoid installing SP2 and disable System Restore. Talk about speed!   :Thmbsup:
-dantheman (November 05, 2007, 04:27 AM)
--- End quote ---
Humm, dunno if you feel a speed hit going from XP vanilla -> SP2 - perhaps startup time, but that doesn't worry me too much. I wouldn't run pre-SP2 though, the firewall is nice, and you'll want the security updates. If you're on really old hardware, you'll be better off with win2k anyway.

dantheman:
For security issues, I have AVG AV and Firewall Network Edition enabled, Firefox and Opera as main browsers.
I don't work for a bank, so i don't see the need for IE7 and all those security updates.

Start up time may be a bit slower with SP2 and i agree with you, it's not a really big issue but when i have more than one program running or other users want to logon, then slughiness is more noticeable.

app103:
Here are a few things I rarely ever see mentioned on speed tips sites but from my experience with messing around on other people's computers to fix their stuff when things go wrong, too many people do not know these:

1. If you want to speed things up a lot when browsing folders in Explorer, use list or details view. It's much faster than waiting for a bunch of thumbnails to load.

If you need to switch to thumbnail view for any reason, don't forget to switch it back to list or details before leaving that folder. It will make a big speed difference the next time you visit that folder.

2. You are better off sorting your files into folders with some sort of organization system rather than having a few 1000 files in a single folder. The list will show in Explorer a lot faster when it doesn't have to show a gazillion files.

If you don't believe me, try opening a folder containing 3000 text files and compare the time it takes to load as opposed to a folder with 150 files.

3. Don't use a home page in your browser. Your browser will open much faster if you have your home page set to "about:blank".

4. Use the proper resolution for your desktop based on the size of your monitor screen. Just because your graphics card can display at higher resolutions doesn't mean you should use the highest it is capable of. (This one tip can speed up your machine a lot!)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version