ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

SQLNotes...what is it exactly?

<< < (32/235) > >>

superboyac:
Oh sh--!  I just screwed everything up.  I was deleting items in one grid and apparently it's linked to the original items in my first grid.  Now all my titles are gone!  What's the rules for deleting stuff?  How do I know if I'm deleting something from the grid only or from the entire database?  Also, how do I control duplicate items?  As in, how can I have duplicates (I change one they all change) or copies (each one is separate, but my have the same content)?

PPLandry:
Ah! I don't blame them. Ecco has been dead for more than 10 years, and NetManage promised many times to release open-source, but never did. Frustration is high and they are afraid that it won't run anymore on new OS's.

Plus, many projects were started, inspired by Ecco, but never made it through "vaporware" stage.

Also, some loud-mouths individuals, which have interest in Ecco, do not want to see a replacement.

SQLNotes is significantly different than Ecco, IMO it is better, but there is always resistance to change. But I had good support from the Ecco community in general, 2/3 of the 500+ registered users are from Ecco.

Last, Ecco was at version 4.0. I'm in pre-beta and still have significant work to do to bring SQLNotes to a released level.

PPLandry:
Oh sh--!  I just screwed everything up.  I was deleting items in one grid and apparently it's linked to the original items in my first grid.  Now all my titles are gone!  What's the rules for deleting stuff?  How do I know if I'm deleting something from the grid only or from the entire database?  Also, how do I control duplicate items?  As in, how can I have duplicates (I change one they all change) or copies (each one is separate, but my have the same content)?
-superboyac (November 30, 2007, 03:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

Items don't belong to a grid. Items exist period. Delete an item in a grid, it is deleted from the database. You don't delete items from a grid, you remove them. To remove an item, delete the field value which included it in the first place.

Try opening a backup to get your info back.

PPLandry:
>Also, how do I control duplicate items?  As in, how can I have duplicates (I change one they all change) or copies (each one is separate, but my have the same content)?

Copy/paste will create a duplicate item. Otherwise, change an item, it will change whereever that item is displayed (in the same grid or in another grid)

superboyac:
it's gone in the backup also.  Damn.

OK, I have to firmly understand the difference between removing and deleting.  If I see an item in a grid and I don't want it there anymore, but that item also appears in other grids or even in the same grid somewhere else, how do I just remove that one item line?  If I use the big red "X" button, I'm assuming that will delete it permanently from all the entire database.  So what will remove just the item, but still keep it in the database?

Can you explain how duplicates work?  I noticed that when i did the =songtitle thing, the items appeared as duplicates, and if I deleted them from one grid, it got deleted everywhere.  What if I just want to copy it without having them be linked?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version