ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

SQLNotes...what is it exactly?

<< < (27/235) > >>

superboyac:
THanks, yeah, I'm ok with my method.  I don't mind the redundancy for two reasons:  Each individual item can stand alone this way, and; it's not like I'm entering the fields manually, they are being inherited automatically.

Here's another question.  For the fields that are inherited automatically (like in your example above) is there a way to make them non-editable?  For example, if an item is a subtopic and inherits some fields, it would be nice to have that field non-editable so no mistakes would happen.  However, I don't want that particular field to always be non-editable because if it is not a subtopic, then it has to be entered manually.  is that possible?

This program is pretty great.  I can already think of a million things to create databases for.  I'm a very meticulous person.

PPLandry:
In your method, there is no way to make inherited value read-only (currently). This feature will be added soon.

If you use the other method (ItemParent, ...), these are always read-only

superboyac:
You know, I just realized that the itemparent way is better.  My only issue is this: does the position in the hierarchy determine whether the item is album/artist/song?  Is that going to be an issue if I try to use the same data in a different grid?  How will I be able to filter out albums, artists, and songs if I don't have those distinct fields and they all go into the same field?

superboyac:
Oh No!  Disaster!  I just opened up the database I made yesterday, and on the bottom of the screen is was saying something about auto-calc fields, and now all of the album/artist fields disappeared!  This is bad.
SQLNotes...what is it exactly?

superboyac:
OK, I found out what the problem was.  For album and artist fields, i had the "auto-update" box checked, which is bad apparently.  Can you tell me what that is for?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version