ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

SQLNotes...what is it exactly?

<< < (2/235) > >>

mouser:
Looks very ambitious and cool, glad to see you here PPLandry.

PPLandry:
Looks intimidating for a person w/ simple needs like me.
-sri (October 18, 2007, 07:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes there are advanced features, but the basic setup is an Excel-style grid (with outlining features) and an optional rich text editing pane with standard editing features (font, bullets, images, links, tables). Each item in the outliner can have a separate text content.

As such, it is basically the same as any other 2-pane outliner.

Many users with no database experience (typical 1-800 infoline support  - CRM personel) have used it and rapidly felt confortable. Give it a try if you want!

superboyac:
Also, coming soon will be an integrated calendar, but Pierre is also working on Gantt charting for project work and he already is able to put in pivot tables and charts.  All of this puts his program beyond ECCO.
-datamill (October 18, 2007, 07:00 AM)
--- End quote ---
That would be highly useful for work applications.

One more question, for us non-programmer types, how would I take advantage of the calculation and database-like features of this program?  When would I be organizing my information (notes, webclips, addressbook contacts, etc.) and think, "hmm, I need to make this calculation"?

PPLandry:
One more question, for us non-programmer types, how would I take advantage of the calculation and database-like features of this program?  When would I be organizing my information (notes, webclips, addressbook contacts, etc.) and think, "hmm, I need to make this calculation"?
-superboyac (October 18, 2007, 10:11 AM)
--- End quote ---
I work as a consultant. So I use it for billing purposes. It can calculate the hrs worked from the start-top times and the HrNonWorked. Circular equations are legal in SQLNotes (unlike Excel), so I have the choice of entering EndTime or Duration.

In a list of tasks, I calculate an Urgency flag based on the priority, required date and current date (actually, I also include %Done and ExpectedDuration in the equation). Then I can set the item back color based on the Urgency figure. Items in Red require immediate attention for example, Yellow for less urgent ones. The equation is automatically re-evaluated so tasks will automatically change from Yellow to Red as required!

If you want to enter car information (km, litres), it can calculate consumption.
Equations are also used to handle text. You can use it to extract phone numbers, web and email address, etc.

superboyac:
Man, this program is intense.  Usually, I can figure out how to use a program within a few minutes.   I just can't get my mind around this.

OK, here's a specific example I'm interested.  Here at work, a group of us play basketball at lunch.  I wanted to start keeping track of the wins/losses of each person to see who has the highest winning percentage.  I started a database in Access, but it became too much work for something as trivial as basketball, so I'm wondering if SQLnotes can do it easier.  I don't know Access so it was difficult creating an input form and to show summary statistics without spending too much time in it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version