ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

SQLNotes...what is it exactly?

<< < (23/235) > >>

PPLandry:
Great to hear that. I personally was never a beta tester. So I admire those that have/take the time to try work-in-progress software.

I expect to have a first calendar as a X-mas gift to users  8). It will have Outlook-like recurring events and alarms (more advanced versions of these will follow, including multi-database value-based alarms, not just date-based)

Armando:
Cooool !! :up:
multi-database value-based alarms...OOoooh! sounds REALLY nice. Now that's something Outlook doesn’t have to my knowledge. Or does it?

PPLandry:
No, Outlook has date/time based alarms only, and only 1 per item (as far as I know)

[value-based alarms]
So when a value is automatically re-evaluated (yes SN does this in background), it can trigger an alarm (project cost going over budget, stock value going under a certain price, etc).

Alarms will be of varying levels too. Some will simply show up in an non-disruptive alarm/reminders window. Other more important ones will show in a message box. The alarm level will be calculated, so the same alarm will display differently, depending on other parameters/values (i.e. appointments can be made to first show up in the alarms window, and later on in a message box). An infinite number of alarms will be possible for each item.

Finally, it will monitor/display alarms from a number of database files (much like Ecco). The process will run independant of SN and it will be possible to load it at startup to have alarm notifications even when SN is not running.

Armando:
This sounds really really nice.

superboyac:
OK, PPL, I finally got a chance to try out your program.  By the way, thanks for the wiki, it's very helpful.

I'm giving up on the basketball one and trying something more simple and useful for myself, as a beginner.  What I want to do is create my own database for my favorite music/albums.  They will have my personal comments/reviews associated with each entry.  So far, here is the layout of my database, as far as the fields:
--Album
--Artist
--SongTitle
--Notes (I just used the default SQL field for this one)

So, for each item, I will have a review of it associated with it.  However, I have a question.  Should I write my review in the Notes field, or in the HTML pane?  I'm leaning on doing it in the HTML pane to take advantage of the formatting options.  Besides, it's too hard to control paragraphs and multiple lines in a regular field, because if you press Enter, it doesn't start a new line, but assumes you're finishing the editing (like a spreadsheet).  The only thing I'm worried about is what is the property of the HTML pane?  Is it considered a specialized field?  Or is it something else?  If I wanted to export the database to excel or something, would the html content be associated with the item, like the other fields would be?

Anyway, I'm pretty sure writing the reviews in the HTML pane is the way to go, but I wanted to make sure.

Thanks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version