ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Minefield(Firefox) 3.7Pre seems to work

<< < (8/8)

MilesAhead:
Looks like this build actually has 2D rendering GPU stuff enabled.  It seems a bit snappier but who knows?  Maybe if someone has a super duper gamer GPU you can tell the difference?

http://www.bassified.nl/firefox-3.7a1pre.en-US.win32.d2d.2009.12.20.zip

I got the link from the developer's blog.  What I did was download a Minefield nightly build and install it.  Then I deleted everything in the Minefield folder under Program Files, and unzipped the contents of the zip file and just layed it on.

The TV Guide java descriptions are still broken. You should probably keep whatever you are using as your default browser for the time being.  The TV Guide descriptions and the Silver Light video are the only 2 things I've found broken so far.  Seems solid other than that.

Curt:
it doesn't have the promised super glass effects.  
However if you apply Glasser to the default theme it doesn't look half bad.
-MilesAhead (October 25, 2009, 09:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

I have really come to like the Glasser extension (not a theme):

click for large:

Minefield(Firefox) 3.7Pre seems to work

However, the author has so far failed to keep a homepage.

Edited:
The wallpaper 'behind' Firefox: http://www.flickr.com/photos/viamoi/3545100197/

MilesAhead:
Just recently I tried the FF 4 "Minefield" to check out the 2D GPU rendering.  It said it was enabled but I couldn't tell. Probably because I don't have game grade GPUs.  Nowadays I mainly keep FF for sites Chrome won't handle and also to fix up loss of favicons and that type of thing in Chrome.  LastPass will work in both but there doesn't seem to be a simple way to cross sync bookmarks that doesn't produce dupes and other side-effects.

But back to the glass.. the main thing that gripes me is when they try to get a large glass caption bar, a lot of apps, including Chrome, want to use a ribbon instead of the standard menu bar.  So now everything is crammed into one drop-down menu item.  It's a pita. I hope Windows8 adds easy to use APIs to draw text and graphics on glass without jumping through flaming hoops.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version