ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > General Review Discussion

UltraEdit Review and Giveaway ($50 value)

<< < (3/4) > >>

zridling:
Michael Rainey is the UltraEdit god! Every time I try to wean myself from UE, it pulls me back! It allows ALL the customizations I want/need to make to a text editor. Bought a lifetime license years ago, but hate that I have to contact IDM, submit all my license/order info, and then wait for them to allow me to upgrade to the next major version. As a licensed lifetime user, THEY should be contacting me!

mrainey:
Zaine,

There's an Austrian guy on the IDM forum, goes by the name of Mofi, who has pretty much taken on the user-to-user support function as a solo act.  Judging by the depth of his answers, I'd say he's averaging several hours every day doing unpaid research and writing for the benefit of UltraEdit users.  I've pretty much become a bystander over there, and that's fine.  I'm not nearly as generous with my time as Mofi is with his.

destiny_ruler:
I have used UE for some time and needless to say that it is very feature rich. It performs most of the activities which I would like to have in a general purpose editor. But having said that, I would say that I have met many people who dont have such a sophisticated requirement and normall are lost with UE. So, they have the options for something like notepad++(free) , PSPad(free), Emeditor(free for students) etc. They dont have as much features as UE but still they are used because most of them dont cost anything and are packed with just enough to be needed.
It is just another way of looking at something being called best. Mercedes is something we all may agree to call best but again, not all of us need it.

Ralf Maximus:
For me, the defining feature of UE is the "column mode" (ALT-C).  This one capability is what made me buy it oh, so many years ago.

Oh, and the integrated hex editor.

mwang:
Same here: Column mode and hex editing are the reasons I've kept Ultraedit on my computer. For everything else, I've gone to EmEditor, which is much faster, and has much better scripting support. Ultraedit's macro capability is inadequate, IMO, though I believe it's progressed since v9, the last version I have a license for.

Now with Emeditor doing half-decent column editing, and various other ways to view files in hex mode (I rarely need hex "editing" anyway), I'm using Ultraedit less and less.

Emeditor is far from perfect. For me, however, its deficiency isn't big enough to justify the cost of another editor.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version