ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Leech Attacks

<< < (3/5) > >>

mrainey:
I got this one a while back.   ;D

"Hello Sir,
   My name is Dhanasekar, I am doing my B.E Manufacturing Engineering in College of Engineering,Chennai,India. Sir currently i am developing a software, "cost estimation Intergrated with knowledge" Which is mainly used to estimated the manufacturing cost and I am doing this as a part of my curriculum project work (NOT FOR ANY COMMERICAL PURPOSE). I download your ME Consultant Pro software sir, it is really a amazing software for cost estimation.I feel this software will be my model from which i can develope more.So i need some valuable help from you sir. GIve some inital source code you employed to develope this software or the database you used for this software.
Again I want to make sure that i am asking only for educational purpose. I promise you i wont distribute your valuable contributions to anybody. If u want i will send u my College Id.please help me to develope a new valuable software sir.

Regards,
 Dhanasekar"

Renegade:
@mrainey

Wow!

That's just craziness!

mwb1100:
Something I've wondered about before which may not really be related to leeches, but I'll ask anyway...

I often come across single message postings in forums by user IDs that never post again that go something like:

Hi, I just found forum.  Its really nice, I'll be vistiing often.
--- End quote ---

They seem like some sort of spam, but I can't for the life of me figure out what the purpose of those messages are since they aren't asking for anything or pointing to some other site.  Is there something going on that I'm not seeing, or is it simply that people legitimately like to drop a 'hello' into a forum then go into lurk mode?  There would be absolutely nothing wrong with that, it just seems strange to me (which may well be a cultural thing).

The other thing that makes me curious about these postings is that they often mention how nice the forum *software* is (as opposed to the discussions going on in the forum), and they usually don't mention anything specifically related to the forum they like so much.

mouser:
Isn't it possible that it's someone who likes the site and the discussion but isn't very talkative or doesn't feel like they have much to contribute to discussions, but still loves reading other people posts, and just wanted to give you a thanks?

Lashiec:
That's spam, I've come across that kind of messages hundreds of times on the Internet, in unprotected wikis and blog comments, often accompanied by their pals, spam links (yuck!).

It could be what mouser says, but 99% of the time it will be spam. It could be that moderators or site owners found about the spam, and simply removed the links. On really big forums, administrators can't be everywhere, and the only thing moderators can do is close the thread or clean up the posts.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version