ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Fixed Drive Letters for Removable Drives

<< < (4/6) > >>

anjan_oleti:
Very simple way to handle this: G:\myfavapp\app.exe = \myfavapp\app.exe. Problem solved :)

Ehtyar.
-Ehtyar (October 15, 2007, 07:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

It doesn't work!
I thought it would work with Windows Explorer... but no luck, in my comp atleast
But when command line is used for programs, it definitely does not work!

Ehtyar:
You're right, it doesn't work in explorer. I don't use explorer to launch my portable apps so i never noticed.
I don't use powerpro either, so i cannot speak to your specific problem, but most programs will accept a path without the drive spec and will act as though it is relative the the root of the current drive.

Hope it helps out in the long run, Ehtyar.

anjan_oleti:
Oh! Okay, now I understand what exactly you meant.. sure, it helps! Thanks!

Target:
Bill Castner discussed it in the AUMHA Forums: The Care and Feeding of USB Storage Devices in XP.
--- End quote ---

great solution, however if you have multiple USB devices in use you don't get any indication of which is which when you try to remove a device, ie I use both a key and and MP3 player.  Using the NTFS junction method makes these devices appear identical when I want to remove a device (unless I go the long way round and right click)...

anyone got any suggestions???

Target

Ehtyar:
I wrote myself a tray app a while back that when right clicked displays a list a of all drives on the system with their drive spec and name. It was originally so i could open drives fast on systems where i had to use the start menu. I'm afraid that's the only way I've ever managed what you're talking about.

Ehtyar.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version