ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

do you use any system to read/write faster(speed reading/autocompleter)?

<< < (3/6) > >>

Ralf Maximus:
I liked Phrase Express (free edition) when I experimented with text expansion:
http://www.phraseexpress.com

urlwolf:
For those who answered  'I write plenty fast, so I don't need an autocompleter':

The question is not whether you need it, but whether it brings any advantage at all. So if you hear someone saying "we don't need  an autocompleter," that use of the word "need" is a sign they're not even thinking about the question right.

If you 'write plenty fast', it takes very little thinking to realize that writing faster is better.

So that option shouldn't be there: it reflects a misconception.

Imagine that you are in business. And you found a area where you can invest (say google adwords) that costs you say $1 per click, but makes you $1.1 in profits.

If you find something like that -rare-, it takes a special kind of stupid to put a cap to it, and limit the amount of money you allocate to it. But in fact, this is what many people in business do!

Is this metaphor clear? It must be shocking to realize this...

Darwin:
Well, for me, I find autocomplete to be annoying beyond belief and boilerplate text about half a step behind it in the "annoyance factor". The spell checker that I use (SpellCatcher Plus) offers this functionality, but I have it turned off and still get annoyed by it...

sri:
I think (user set, not what the program dictates) auto complete is great.

For example, I just used the abbreviations 'prog', 'grt', 'abbr.' to write the above sentence.

urlwolf:
wow, I wasn't expecting this.
I was annoyed by autocompleters before, but got used to it in about a week.

Abbreviations I don't like, because it takes time to set them up and update them. But maybe most people think that autocompleters are " annoying beyond belief"...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version