ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Personal Movie Organizers - A quick rundown

<< < (2/6) > >>

TucknDar:
Have to say that PVD certainly looks like a great piece of free DVD collection app! Have to check it out myself ;)

Carol Haynes:
I use Collectorz MDB and just tried PVD.

I like the speed and ease of use of PVD - but the web database support seems a bit limited. Granted I have only input a handful of films but in CMDB I could find the exact box images of my DVDs quite quickly and easily - in PVD I couldn't find them at all (they were obviously US Region 1 covers not the ones issued in Region 2). That would mean very slow input as covers would have to be scanned - and without integrated scanning it makes it even slower.

KenR:
On a different note, DVD Profiler is a $29 one time purchase. All future upgrades are included. On the other hand, Movie Collector is $39 for the current version with an upgrade cost for each major release. I know that money isn't an issue for any of us, but the shallow person in me compelled me to note this.

Ken

y0himba:
I have been using Ant Movie Catalog for at least a year.  I have the DB it creates written to a system backup folder in My Documents, which I have on a separate, non-arrayed HDD, so that when I do a clean install, I can just point Windows to it and boom, nothing lost.

I need to say, it's the best and easiest to use I have found.  Not only does it have dozens of sources to get movie information from, but the scripts are kept up to date with changes to each of the sites they draw data from.  The reports are incredible and extremely customizable.  This is definitely one of the best free programs I have ever seen.

J-Mac:
A very, very late post to this thread, but I just started looking seriously for a DVD collection program.  While looking at Movie Collector, and also reading about all of the angst among users over their sudden change in upgrade policy.  Despite the upgrade thing, it does appear that many DCers are still using MC and speaking well of the program itself - if not the developers.

One disavantage:  No discount here at DC.   :o  :(

So I decided to look around for one elsewhere, and lo and behold:  There is an $8.00 discount for users of ListPro by Iliumsoft.  I have used ListPro on a Pocket PC and desktop PC for years and never new about it.  The page, hidden away on the collectorz.com site - the only way I found it was through a link on the Iliumsoft web site - is here:

http://www.collectorz.com/listpro_offer.php

And the referring page at Iliumsoft is here on their support site:

http://www.iliumsoft.com/site/lp/lp_suptp1.php#qcolz

Not a windfall, but hey! $8 is $8 last I checked!!  And actually that is 20% off one Pro version of any product there.

I was using DVD Attache, a free app from a private developer which is very nice, but limited.  His website is currently down, though it appears that he has obtained a new domain - www.dvdattache.com - and it is not up yet.  Also, ominously, he has not replied to any of my recent emails.  I'm an early donater to him and had become friendly with him; he usually responds immediately, so perhaps something is wrong there.

Anyway, this has prompted me to seek out another DVD database program.  Looking like Movie Collector right now.  :)

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version