ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How can a BSOD ruin an mbr???

<< < (3/4) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Yep that's the one. But there are loads of other diagnostic and soak test applications out there which can also be used.

Lashiec:
I wonder if stressing the system with Prime95 could prove useful :-\

OGroeger:
I asked Google about "memory parity error" dell laptop and it gave me more than 400 hits  :o
I looked into some top hits and interestingly they mentioned that it might be the ram of the graphic card and not the mobo ram. By all means there were some who sweared that they had not errors in memtest but a "parity error" system halt. Looks like f0dder had the best guess: Graphic card driver or Graphic card hardware.

f0dder:
Parity error sounds pretty serious, I've never seen it on any systems myself... and I only think you would see it with ECC memory?

Armando:
I asked Google about "memory parity error" dell laptop and it gave me more than 400 hits  :o
I looked into some top hits and interestingly they mentioned that it might be the ram of the graphic card and not the mobo ram. By all means there were some who sweared that they had not errors in memtest but a "parity error" system halt. Looks like f0dder had the best guess: Graphic card driver or Graphic card hardware.
-OGroeger (October 13, 2007, 04:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

The problem is that there aren't tons of drivers for my ATI x1400. I've tried 2. Didn't see any difference. (an BTW, if you google "memory parity error" laptop HP or Sony or whatever, you get lots of results too. The small difference probably only comes from Dell’s market dominance.)

Every time I get one of those memory parity error message, my heart skips a beat. Sick of it. But I've spent soooo much time on this problem that I've decided to live with it until I get my next laptop. When I'll buy the next one, I'll stress it for one whole week with different programs and see if it stays quiet. If I get one BSOD for some obscure reason, back to the shop it will go. And I’ll do that with the next one.

Right now, Unless somebody has a miraculous suggestion, the only solution appears to get a new laptop. But that will not happen before 2009-2010.

As for the mbr problem, I’ll have to do some diagnostic tests tonight (thanks for the  suggestion Carol). Following f0dder’s advices,  maybe I’ll buy and run SpinRite… ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version