ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

PocketPC or Palm?

<< < (3/6) > >>

Josh:
The problem with using a SmartPhone device is that I have to pay more for plan JUST TO SUPPORT the device. I cannot use a standard family plan like I have now, I have to upgrade to a data plan. This is why I want a standalone palm/pocketpc type device.

Ralf Maximus:
The problem with using a SmartPhone device is that I have to pay more for plan JUST TO SUPPORT the device. I cannot use a standard family plan like I have now, I have to upgrade to a data plan. This is why I want a standalone palm/pocketpc type device.
-Josh (October 13, 2007, 05:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

I can understand that.  However, those rules apply only if you plan to surf the web via the phone.  All the other stuff they do (so long as the data stays within the phone) does NOT require any fancy "data" plans, no matter how hard they try to get you to believe.

Now, will they sell you a smart phone without a data plan?  I can see that being a battle, or maybe not.  Depends on the carrier.  AT&T sold me a camera phone even though I explicitly turned down their data plan so I could transmit pictures via SMS.  (But for awhile I thought the sales critter's head would explode.  "Why not you want send pix?  Everyone send pix.  You not send pix.  But everyone send pix.  Man sure not want send pix?")

Fun fact: If you see a phone sold by your carrier that you want, but don't need a new/different plan than what you already have, you can often go on eBay and buy an "unlocked" version of that phone.  Brand new, factory warranty, often for cheaper than the carrier's price.  Swap your SIM chip into the new phone and ta-da, you're done.  As far as EvilExpensiveWireless Co. is concerned you're still using the old phone.

Josh:
Yeah, I would rather avoid that battle if I can. I really want a device I can take with me regardless of upgrades to my phone. When my phone comes time to be upgraded again in 2 years, I want to be able to retain all of my data. This is why a dedicated device is more preferable than one that "does it all". Chances are, after two years, the device will no longer be supported by the phone company and I will be forced to upgrade and then have two devices for this purpose. So, as far as this, I am going to stick with a dedicated PDA.

Dont take this the wrong way, I still greatly value your input :)

steeladept:
...Now, will they sell you a smart phone without a data plan?  I can see that being a battle, or maybe not.  Depends on the carrier...
-Ralf Maximus (October 13, 2007, 07:54 PM)
--- End quote ---
Verizon usually will not from my experience no matter what.  They tell their salesmen that it won't work at all without a data-plan.  It is a bunch of crap, but it is a requirement for them to sell it at the price listed.  At least that is from my experience.  Of course I also have yet to see a half-decent offering that is not in the "business" line anyway.

Fun fact: If you see a phone sold by your carrier that you want, but don't need a new/different plan than what you already have, you can often go on eBay and buy an "unlocked" version of that phone.  Brand new, factory warranty, often for cheaper than the carrier's price.  Swap your SIM chip into the new phone and ta-da, you're done.  As far as EvilExpensiveWireless Co. is concerned you're still using the old phone.
-Ralf Maximus (October 13, 2007, 07:54 PM)
--- End quote ---
Careful - Not all phones use SIM chips.  AT&T does, as does T-Mobile, but I know Verizon does not and I don't think (though I may be wrong on this) Sprint/Nextel do in all new phone lines.  If you are open to anything, I STRONGLY suggest a phone with a SIM chip.  It makes transfers/upgrades/etc. much easier and cheaper.

As for stand alone systems, I haven't run into any in quite a while.  My experiences, however, were with Windows Mobile.  I had it on a Dell Axiom, and it was awesome for my uses.  I have been looking for one with a built in phone for quite a while, but none are out there that fit my criteria - the biggest one (though hardly only one) being a Verizon carrier.  Verizon has many issues, but less than others I have dealt with and SO many of my friends and family are on their network that it would double my monthly bill if I were on another carrier.  But this is a tangent again  :P

The reason I like Windows Mobile so much is simple.  Strong integration with Office (especially Outlook).  I use it most extensively with the calandar and contact tracking.  The synchronization with Outlook was flawless.  As a bonus, the ability to open Word and Excel files if needed was built in as well.  Lastly, media player was more than adaquate for listening to music.  All of this as well as Mobile Explorer (which I never used) was built into Windows Mobile.  I really can't say why it didn't take off better except for the entrenchment of Palm (well, until RIM came along and offered E-mail Synchronization on the fly).

Lastly, have you considered a RIM device (blackberry if you didn't know).  They are as stable as a rock, offer good email connectivity, and do everything else you asked about.  Depending on the model you can get them with or without a phone and/or camera as well.  Down sides - yes you would need a data plan since that is it's main selling point and the calandar and contact lists are as basic as you can possibly imagine.  In fact, the calandar is so basic and annoying to navigate that this is why I hate them.  But hey, to each his or her own.

By the way, if you want a PocketPC device but have difficulty finding one because you don't want the phone, let me know.  I can part with my Axiom with little difficulty (as long as I find it and the parts - I recently moved and am not sure which box it is in  :-\ )

Ralf Maximus:
Dont take this the wrong way, I still greatly value your input :)
-Josh (October 13, 2007, 08:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

No problem!  The only thing I use my phone for is making/receiving calls -- for exactly the reasons you cite.  I didn't even want the stupid camera.

:-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version