ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Use video RAM as a swap disk?

<< < (4/7) > >>

f0dder:
Ah, but you are writing one char at a time. As stated previously, check your CPU usage, especially the time spent in kernelmode...

Crush:
Here´s the kernalmode usage with normal IO (CFile normal in ~10 second bench):

Results for User Mode Process BENCHMARKER.EXE (PID = 3180)

User Time                   = 1.73% of the Elapsed Time // the time used by the program itself is very small
    Kernel Time                 = 48.11% of the Elapsed Time // a rather big kernalmode usage!!!

Total      Avg. Rate
    Page Faults          ,            0,         0/sec.
    I/O Read Operations  ,            0,         0/sec.
    I/O Write Operations ,      2779646,         268322/sec.
    I/O Other Operations ,            0,         0/sec.
    I/O Read Bytes       ,            0,         0/ I/O
    I/O Write Bytes      ,      2779646,         1/ I/O // the IO-Scanner shows that the bytes are written seperately with no cache!
    I/O Other Bytes      ,            0,         0/ I/O

OutputResults: ProcessModuleCount (Including Managed-Code JITs) = 22
Percentage in the following table is based on the Total Hits for this Process

Time   196 hits, 25000 events per hit --------
 Module                                Hits   msec  %Total  Events/Sec
ntdll                                   117      10359    59 %      282363   // too much
kernel32                                 48      10359    24 %      115841   // too much
MFC80U                                   27      10359    13 %       65160   // too much
Benchmarker                               4      10359     2 %        9653 // ok

And here are the results with QuickFile (write caching in ~10 second bench)

Results for User Mode Process BENCHMARKER.EXE (PID = 4028)

User Time                   = 19.27% of the Elapsed Time  // The main cpu time is spend for the program itself, that´s  fine
    Kernel Time                 = 1.79% of the Elapsed Time   // This is something I can accept

Total      Avg. Rate
    Page Faults          ,            0,         0/sec.
    I/O Read Operations  ,            0,         0/sec.
    I/O Write Operations ,         2749,         274/sec.  // the caching leads to less hardware write actions
    I/O Other Operations ,            0,         0/sec.
    I/O Read Bytes       ,            0,         0/ I/O
    I/O Write Bytes      ,    180158464,         65536/ I/O  // here you see my standard IO-cacheblock size (0x10000)
    I/O Other Bytes      ,            0,         0/ I/O

Time   1576 hits, 25000 events per hit --------
 Module                                Hits   msec  %Total  Events/Sec
Benchmarker                             961      10015    60 %     2398901   // great! most time is spend to create the cache!
MSVCR80                                 614      10015    38 %     1532700   // I think this cpu time is used by the CFile-Class itself
ntdll                                     1      10015     0 %        2496           // this is acceptable  :D

This shows that writecache releases the kernal32 & ntdll - there is definately some kinds of caches are active in WinXP with ntfs, but its not very effective in write actions with small portions. The coders of M$ perhaps concentrated in optimizing read-caching more than writing. I´d like to know how Linux filesystems would perform in such a test.

f0dder:
You're interpreting the results wrongly - your bottleneck is certainly the user<>kernel switching, very evident with such a high kernel usage in the first test. The filesystem caches are efficient enough, but writing one byte at a time has never been a good idea :)

Crush:
I have no idea how to reduce the usermode<>kernalmode switching without an own buffer. Do you have a simple solution?

Nevertheless, I´ll use my own caching-system in the future and don´t trust in the "normal" filesystem too much. Let´s next see how caching with VMem will work compared to normal memory.

f0dder:
I have no idea how to reduce the usermode<>kernalmode switching without an own buffer. Do you have a simple solution?

Nevertheless, I´ll use my own caching-system in the future and don´t trust in the "normal" filesystem too much. Let´s next see how caching with VMem will work compared to normal memory.
-Crush (October 13, 2007, 06:21 PM)
--- End quote ---
Simple solution: do larger writes - user your own buffer is one decent way to do larger writes. But you can probably find other ways to increase efficiency as well (ie., don't write an integer at a time, write out chunks of integers from your array).

Caching with video memory is going to be slower than normal memory, transfers there are a bit more expensive... especially if you're stuck with AGP instead of PCI-e, sinced AGP readbacks are slooooow.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version