ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Best way to start learning C++?

<< < (3/10) > >>

mouser:
Well i usually write a long expository piece on finding a project to motivate you, etc., but for me the idea of learning a language without using a book just seems insane.  A good book is a good friend.

wreckedcarzz:
as there is next to no free alternative
-Ehtyar (October 11, 2007, 07:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

What about Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Express? That's free. It's C++.
-Deozaan (October 11, 2007, 07:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

I just downloaded that (am getting ready to install the service packs now), it looks good but it IS Microsoft ;D

I feel the need to add that regardless of which method you choose to learn, start work on a project that *you want to build*. The project will motivate you to learn without making it feel like you are learning. Just learning to learn, is sometimes hard. Practice exercises aren't always interesting. If you have a pet project you will want to work on it and the learning will come naturally.
-tinjaw (October 11, 2007, 07:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

That is the main reason I am working at this :)

Buy a book.

-mouser (October 11, 2007, 07:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

Might do that, there is a college just down the road that teaches computer programming, and my dad gets dicounts at the library... :-\

app103:
Practice exercises aren't always interesting. If you have a pet project you will want to work on it and the learning will come naturally.
-tinjaw (October 11, 2007, 07:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

That is why I made this page: Stupid C Stuff

arunpawar:
One of our member "Mahesh2k" has lot of Turbo c++ graphics programming and Dev-C++ IDE tutorials on his site you can try some of this from his site.
Take a look at http://onecore.net
Search thru entire of his site you'll come to lot of useful programming tutorials on this site.

If possible then try and get the Waite groups Object oriented programming using Turbo C++ by Robert lafore.It is easy to grasp book and u'll learn C++ in simple setps.If possible you can try other books that members suggest here.

Look at the source code of others read blogs related to C++ programming that is the only way you can learn much stuff about C++.

MS VC++ is certainly like hitting on the wall.You'll hit plenty deep on there.You can try Turbo C++ Explorer edition which is free and better than MS VC++.You'll be creating better programs both console and windows with this.Many developres start off with borland and later move onto other IDE or studio products.So try and learn from Turbo products or you can even learn Dev-C++.SkyIDE with Mingw setup can be used for learning.For Mingw installation refer onecore.net site it has tutorial on it.

MS VC is nonstandard it has its platform specific code in VC++.You'll learn many bad habits with MS softwares.That u'll not agree at the start.So if you're thinking to develop programs simply then try and learn from Turbo C++ 3.0 command line compiler itis easy to use and can be better option for beginers.

Hope this helps.

f0dder:
MS VC++ is certainly like hitting on the wall.You'll hit plenty deep on there.You can try Turbo C++ Explorer edition which is free and better than MS VC++.
-arunpawar
--- End quote ---
Define "better"?

Borland used to have some good development products back in the nineties, but the code
generation of their compilers isn't up to par (haven't been for a long time), their standard library isn't all too great, and last time I looked C++ standards compliance was somewhat behind as well.

You'll be creating better programs both console and windows with this.
-arunpawar
--- End quote ---
And why is that?

If you stick to standard C++ features, MSVC wins because of better code generation. If you start using frameworks, Borland has the incredibly bloated VCL - even MS's MFC is less bloated than that.

MS VC is nonstandard it has its platform specific code in VC++.You'll learn many bad habits with MS softwares.That u'll not agree at the start.So if you're thinking to develop programs simply then try and learn from Turbo C++ 3.0 command line compiler itis easy to use and can be better option for beginers.
-arunpawar
--- End quote ---
You say MSVC is nonstandard and then goes on to say Borland isn't? And then especially mention TC3? Heh.

MSVC has a bunch of extensions, but nobody forces you to use them. TC3 has a lot of non-standard stuff, and back in the days lots of people used that non-standard stuff.

Stay away from the inferior borland products, especially the legacy DOS stuff like TC3. Go with MSVC or GCC or even DigitalMars (or OpenWatcom if you don't need C++). Learn the base language before dipping into GUIs and platform specific code.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version