ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Best way to start learning C++?

<< < (4/10) > >>

mahesh2k:
Agree with fodder.

:)
Arun Borland is good for starters.But If your programming for windows only then it doesn't matter wheather u use Borland or MSVC as starting tool.But it matters if you are thinking for cross platform coding even befire learning the langauge which is absurd thinking.At that point learn C++ then go with wxwidgets or FLTK or EFLTK or GTK.

MSVC is good,it has express version with which you possibly can create commercial software like you can do with Turbo explorer.If you're recomnding TC explorer for beginer then it is quite good but the TC 3 outdated and not suitable for beginners anymore.Though it is used extensively i country like india,china,pakistan.Again,point is  VCL is bloated so better to go with MSVC express 2005 instead of TC3.

My advice :
Get good book like : Robert lafore or Even some online tutorials.
Use better compiler with Good IDE.DeevC++ is fine for starters.
Don't jump to GUI until you are comfortable with foundation concepts of OOP and other.

Hope it helps.

hamradio:
The C++ version of Turbo Explorer is Turbo C++ 2006. What is TC3? The older version?...Hmmm...

Edit by hamradio:

In the about box of my Turbo C++ it shows...

"Borland® C++Builder® for Microsoft® Windows™ Version 10.0.2288.42451 Update 2 Copyright © 2005 Borland® Software Corporation. All Rights Reserved."

mouser:
I happen to love Borland's C++ Builder, which now goes by the name CodeGear's Turbo C++ (confusing history of name changes) which is basically C++ with a layer of GUI components that make it an extremely enjoyable way to build very substantial windows applications.

The one thing that was mentioned above and needs to be emphasizes is that this visual component system is a windows-only solution.  Which is a terrible shame and should give you pause before learning it.  wxWidgets and Qt are the cross-platform equivelent, although i don't find them nearly as enjoyable to use, nor are comprehensive.

I'm not sure i would recommend any of these to a new learner -- better to focus on the core C++ language and now mess with any of these GUI libraries are first.

f0dder:
TC3 is Turbo C++ 3, back from the 16bit DOS days. Decent product with good IDE back in those times, but almost useless today unless you have some very specific needs. Back then I preferred borland turbo pascal though, it was faster and it didn't matter it generated worse code, you needed assembly for anything speed sensitive anyway ;)

mouser: Delphi and BCB/CGTC++ are indeed pretty nifty for glueing GUIs together quickly, Borland did succeed in Rapid Gui Design (I don't want to call it Rapid Application Design, even though components can be more than just GUI elements).

But if you take away the VCL (Visual Component Library, the GUI component library, for those that aren't familiar with Delphi and BCB), not many advantages are left - and the VCL isn't something you want to start with if your goal is to learn the C++ language and become proficient in it. I dunno if VCL can even be used with other C++ compilers than Borland's?

mouser:
But if you take away the VCL (Visual Component Library, the GUI component library, for those that aren't familiar with Delphi and BCB), not many advantages are left - and the VCL isn't something you want to start with if your goal is to learn the C++ language and become proficient in it.
--- End quote ---

agreed 100%.

I dunno if VCL can even be used with other C++ compilers than Borland's?
--- End quote ---
nope.  and this is a real downside to using it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version