ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Replace Windows XP's Icons

<< < (3/3)

Nighted:
tomos, no....the Tango patcher is made using the XPize installer.

You don't need the XPize software unless you plan on creating your own package.

Darwin:
Crap. I should have read Chaim's original post more closely. Chaim! Don't buy StyleXP! There are free alternatives that accomplish the same thing. StyleXP just replaces your Uxtheme.dll and provides you with an alternative front end to the default Windows Themes interface and charges you $19.95 for it. You can patch Uxtheme.dll yourself for free and use non-MS Windows themes.

Alternatively, Stardock's Windowblinds (or the Object Desktop suite which includes Windowblinds but adds a lot of additional functionality, including icon editing and replacement) accomplishes the same thing without touching the uxtheme.dll and is much more configureable...Of course, like StyleXp these are shareware alternatives.

tinjaw:
Crap. I should have read Chaim's original post more closely. Chaim! Don't buy StyleXP! There are free alternatives that accomplish the same thing. StyleXP just replaces your Uxtheme.dll and provides you with an alternative front end to the default Windows Themes interface and charges you $19.95 for it. You can patch Uxtheme.dll yourself for free and use non-MS Windows themes.
-Darwin (October 10, 2007, 07:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for piping up Darwin. I haven't registered the program yet. I had a feeling that might be the case, because that is pretty much why I wanted to try it. It sounded like all it did was "hack" the existing resources in the binaries and I thought that would be more stable than running fresh code, like Stardock's stuff.

Alternatively, Stardock's Windowblinds (or the Object Desktop suite which includes Windowblinds but adds a lot of additional functionality, including icon editing and replacement) accomplishes the same thing without touching the uxtheme.dll and is much more configureable...Of course, like StyleXp these are shareware alternatives.
-Darwin (October 10, 2007, 07:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

I am not sure that I want to do anything more than just change the appearance of my desktop at this point. I want to be able to keep the pretty desktop while doing development work, so I want something that won't slow things down and I need to keep the system stable. In fact, on my game rig I have a AutoIt app that I wrote that shuts things down for me before I play games. I plan on writing a similar app to "auto-configure" my laptop for various tasks, like development.

Dirhael:
If you want the functionality of StyleXP or the UXTheme patch for free without having to change/hack any system files, just download and install the now freeware utility "Styler". Of course, it does a whole lot of other things as well, but it's a very lightweight and well worth checking out :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version