ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Adobe Acrobat Reader Security Vulnerability

(1/4) > >>

mouser:
Adobe has fessed up to a dangerous code execution vulnerability affecting software programs installed on millions of Windows machines.

The flaw, publicly disclosed more than three weeks ago, could allow hackers to use rigged PDF files to take control of Window XP computers with Internet Explorer 7 installed.

The bug affects Adobe Reader 8.1 and earlier versions, Adobe Acrobat Standard, Professional and Elements 8.1 and earlier versions, and Adobe Acrobat 3D.

--- End quote ---

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=566

Darwin:
Thanks for alerting us to this one, Jesse. I'm off to read up on it and hopefully secure my computer!

Ralf Maximus:
Is this a flaw in the Adobe rendering engine or the PDF file format itself?

If I use (say) FoxIt to view PDFs am I vulnerable?

Darwin:
Interesting - this is described as a "complicated workaround" but it's a simple matter of changing a "2" to a "3"... Hardly seems like rocket science.

Note that:

Adobe categorizes this as a critical issue and recommends that users apply the workaround described above for their product installations.
--- End quote ---

Ralf, this is a problem with the Acrobat rendering engine and not the file format itself, so if you are using Foxit and do not have Acrobat Reader installed, you should be fine.

Lashiec:
No, but be careful (search for "Foxit")

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version