ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Strange customer...

(1/12) > >>

John2k:
Hi,

Firstly, great site!

I need a bit of advice concerning a customer of mine. I recently just completed an encryption program for him, and now he wants to draw up a contract to finalise everything. The thing that worries me, is that he wants to view a copy of my passport to validate who I am plus my address etc. I've never heard of that before! The customer lives overseas, and he says that he wants to protect himself for when he makes his payment to me.

What should I do about it? Is giving the information he wants necessary?

Thanks for any help.

John.

f0dder:
Hmm, that sounds a bit fishy to me.

On the other hand, I had to fax a copy of my student license + visa card to datarescue when I purchased IDA, since they've had a lot of stolen credit-card purchases... but that's a somewhat different situation than yours.

I'd definitely blank (and I do mean blank, not blurring or pixelizing etc. as those can be reversible) out any control codes etc. on the passport, so the image can't be used for forging a new passport. One can never be too careful.

Ralf Maximus:
Nothing beats the advice of legal counsel.  If you don't have a lawyer you can call up and spend 15 minutes asking simple questions of, then contact your local bar association and explain what you're after.  This is exactly the kind of thing I ring up my lawyer about occasionally and if the call is a few minutes or so sometimes I don't even get billed.

My gut feeling is that since it's encryption related + overseas, he may be concerned about US export requirements regarding encryption.  Could be a simple documentation procedure we are unaware of until it becomes an international sale.

John2k:
To be honest, I am pretty much clueless with selling bespoke software.
I don't know the normal procedures involved with exchanging software, money, licensing etc.

I got a sinking feeling when he mentioned a passport, maybe it could be some kind of identity scam?

I should have looked into it all thoroughly before I even started programming.

Ralf Maximus:
Keeping the relevant facts confidential, can you describe what kind of business arrangement you made before you delivered the code?  Did you sign a contract? 

Have you accepted any payments (cashed the check)?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version