ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Autoreplace in clipboard

<< < (4/5) > >>

rjbull:
That is: is there a freeware app that would replace the text in the clipboard with something else? It would be nice if it did just that, I am not in need of a bloated clipboard manager. Ease of adding of new entries and flexibility (regexp?) would be an added benefit...
-Jabberwock (October 07, 2007, 02:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

Jabberwock,

I just confected a possible solution - but you may not like it, and some assembly required.

* Download ClipText from Horst Schaeffer's Web site, from the 32-bit Windows command-line tools section.
* Install this batch file somewhere on your system:
@echo off
for %%a in (1 2) do if exist c:\temp\cliptext.%%a del c:\temp\cliptext.%%a > nul
c:\dos\utils\cliptext.exe to c:\temp\cliptext.1
c:\dos\utils\sed-359.exe -f c:\pcw\spellchk\chs.sed < c:\temp\cliptext.1 > c:\temp\cliptext.2
c:\dos\utils\cliptext.exe from c:\temp\cliptext.2
for %%a in (1 2) do if exist c:\temp\cliptext.%%a del c:\temp\cliptext.%%a > nul
* Adjust paths as necessary.  Make a shortcut to it, and assign a hotkey.  I couldn't get this to work by assigning a shortcut in Windows itself, so I used PowerPro instead, which gives a wider choice of hotkeys, and allows you to set things to run hidden.  You may have your own favourite hotkey program.
* Clip your text, press hotkey, press Ctrl-V...
I used SED 3.59 because it too is a 32-bit command-line tool, and being a version of SED, uses regular expressions.  You can get a copy from Eric Pement's SED page

I admit "ease of adding new entries" is not so seamless, but suggest you assign your search-replace file, CHS.SED in the example above, as a favourite file in your editor.  I mostly use TED Notepad for this kind of thing (I prefer my old WordStar-style DOS editor, VDE, for text-bashing, but that's another story).

mouser:
rj, i was thinking i could enhance the formatting preset sytem and solve the problem you point out as well by doing this:
Add an option WITHIN the existing formatting presets to invoke a tool on the clip text IN ADDITION to performing the formatting options specified.

that is, right now you can either use an external tool, OR use the built-in system.  but what if i add running a tool to the choices of things you can do normally in a formatting preset.  this would let you add them to the pop-up menu like any normal formatting preset, and make it easier to combine both the built in functions with external tools.

rjbull:
what if i add running a tool to the choices of things you can do normally in a formatting preset.
-mouser (October 10, 2007, 10:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not sure I fully understand you, but to the extent that I do, yes, that sounds good.  Thanks!  :)

cranioscopical:
what if i add running a tool to the choices of things you can do normally in a formatting preset
-mouser (October 10, 2007, 10:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sounds good to me, also. If the preset performs no other action, then you have the external tool only.  In a sense, there's an inbuilt three-way switch; preset, tool, both.

mouser:
exactly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version