ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Do you archive/store your downloads (mainly install files)?

<< < (2/10) > >>

mitzevo:
I am a bit of a Virgo when it comes to archiving downloads...
--- End quote ---
Ampa, what exactly does this mean?  ;D

Nighted, very nice.. things I can see:

* you add [version] to most (or all) of your files
* you also use a "!folder" like naming scheme for important files and/or folders - I guess to keep them in the front (if arranged alphabetically of course). ! is also my prefered character for this - some times i use an @, not a lot tho :P
* you use quite an organized structure/hierarchy (ok maybe not hierarchy) of directories
* x rated yahoo smilies... what the.. :huh:
btw, nice theme. ;D

Darwin:
x rated yahoo smilies... what the..
--- End quote ---

Yeah, I noticed that as well and was wondering...

Nighted:
x-rated...it means that they are naughty...bewbs etc...

Dirhael:
I archive *everything* into their own organized folders, categorized by what the program does (development, graphics, audio, video etc.), then by application name, and finally be type of release (retail, beta etc.). With the cost of storage space these days, I don't see a reason why I shouldn't do this and so far it has saved me on more than one situation where some small little obscure utility have just vanished from the www. Of course, I should probably start deleting some older versions of my apps as at times I think I am taking this archiving thing a little to far.

Case in point; I currently have well over 100 versions of Xyplorer stored and I never really use anything but the latest release...but at some point it could be nice to have, especially if I am having a problem with a specific release :)

tinjaw:
mitzevo, It is weird that you posted about this. The reason I just logged in was to post a similar question. Odd.  :huh:

I have thought about saving every downloaded file as well, but always end up just relying on the Internet as my archive. You can always find a copy somewhere. And with a 10 MB download connection, it doesn't take long for even several hundred MB of files.

However, I do have a need for something very very similar. I want to better organize my software CDs, software DVDs, and various compressed archives (ZIP, RAR, etc.). I plan on converting the CDs and DVDs into ISO images. I have Terrabytes of HDD storage with hundreds of Gigabytes RAIDed. I have set up Openfiler to make all of this storage space available in various forms (SMB, NFS, FTP, and WebDAV).

Now I want to put a web frontend on it. I want some way to easily browse as well as search the files. Indexing should cover the metadata as well as introspect the files data. For example, this way I could search by file name or words inside a file.

I do not know of a best of breed solution for this. Ideally it would be a PHP application that uses a database to store the metadata and the index, and then provides links to the files in the filesystem.

Now, I know that I could build something like this using Microsoft technologies to index the files and ASP apps served up by IIS, but I am not as proficient with Microsoft web technologies as I am with LAMP.

I am aware of one script that runs FilesHome.com, but it doesn't even come close.

Any ideas?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version