ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Versioning of files

<< < (8/12) > >>

tomos:
I had had a look at their site but only now notice they have a forum & a wiki

my fear of too many versions is unnecessary:
..can occasionally tell FileHamster to remove unprotected files. Please note that files get set as protected by default when you add a comment.-tomos (October 05, 2007, 05:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

which basically means I can save as often as I like, just put comments on the important ones & easily delete the rest-tomos (October 05, 2007, 04:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

unfortunately that's not working for me*
It's working out really well for me otherwise, very happy i is  :-*

* will probably go to their forums with that one

* EDIT: as often, i being too hasty -
it will "purge" all uprotected documents (those without comments by default) except the last saved version
- wonderful programme!!

Softland:
Few details about Backup4all:
- file versioning means that different versions of the same file will be stored as long as you keep the backups; an example, say you schedule a daily incremental backup for a folder where you have a word document - first day it will do a full backup, second day if your word document was changed it will be copied and added to the 2nd backup (a zip file), 3rd day the word document willl be copied again (if it changed) and so on... all the versions of the word document are kept in different backups, so say you changed it daily you'll have at the end of a week 7 different versions of the word document stored in 7 different zip file (i'm assuming now you wouldn't use any split/merge or advanced options)

- to restore a version of a file (can be to the original location or a different location) in the explore view of Backup4all you select the backed up file and in the lower part of the main window you'll see different versions listed - http://www.backup4all.com/templates/online-help/product_description.htm this image shows that for the selected file (backup4all-lite.png in this case) there are about 13 different versions listed in the window below it (file version window); additionally, the restore can be done using the restore wizard, in case for instance you want to automatically filter which versions are shown,... - http://www.backup4all.com/templates/online-help/restore_versions.htm

- as for the plugins, they should appear now in the search results, normally the best search results for the knowledgebase are obtained when using its own search engine http://www.backup4all.com/kb/search/

Hope this helps a little. If not, you can always ask our support guys (support [at] backup4all.com) specific backup scenario questions.

tomos:
Few details about Backup4all:
-Softland (October 09, 2007, 02:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

thanks for the clarifications, looking forward to trying out some plugins :)

gwynevans:
:huh: Ralf, dude! You're killing me. You are doing everything you can to avoid using an actual version control system. You are doing extra work, that you would get "out of the box" with version control.-tinjaw (October 05, 2007, 07:39 PM)
--- End quote ---
I've got to second that - Ralf's built his own VCS there, but I'd strongly suggest he trial subversion and TortoiseSVN alongside it (which shouldn't be a problem) and see if that might be easier.

tinjaw:
I've got to second that...
-gwynevans (October 17, 2007, 02:19 PM)
--- End quote ---
I have no idea who this gwynevans is, but they are obviously intelligent.  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version