ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Versioning of files

<< < (5/12) > >>

tomos:
When working on media files, and if you have the money to burn, perhaps take a look at http://www.softimage.com/products/alienbrain/ . Don't have any experience with it myself, but it sounds cool enough. And id software uses it :)
-f0dder (October 05, 2007, 05:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

mind you looking at it that "starter pack" is only 12$
will look closer
-tomos (October 05, 2007, 05:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

You sure that's only $12? Looks like $12,000 to me.
-Deozaan (October 05, 2007, 02:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

;D ;D ;D ;D

tomos:
I use FileHamster and I just want to point out that you can set a delay so that it will not save new versions if they occur within n amount of hours:mins:seconds of each other. This way if you save a file 15 times a minute, but they're not really important changes, you can set it to 00:01:00 and it will only save if it's been a full minute since the last revision.

Sorry if this was mentioned before. I started skimming through the last few posts.
-Deozaan (October 05, 2007, 02:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

I seem to be seeing things when they're not there & vice-versa this evening
or
i lost a post somewhere! - or both :)
ahh...
 here it is
I had had a look at their site but only now notice they have a forum & a wiki

my fear of too many versions is unnecessary:
..can occasionally tell FileHamster to remove unprotected files. Please note that files get set as protected by default when you add a comment.-tomos (October 05, 2007, 05:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

which basically means I can save as often as I like, just put comments on the important ones & easily delete the rest

they have a plugin Report Window Plugin they charge for (only 9.95$, I swear :))
Have you ever wanted to see a report of everything that changed in FileHamster over the last few days?

Would you like to perform a mass restoration on all files to a particular time or date, or protect the latest versions of many files all at once?

With the Report Plugin, you will be able to easily isolate changes in any folder, multiple folders, or your entire library.

To help maximize your search, the ReportPlugin features extensive time-span controls that allow you to select any node in the Watch Tree and instantly see a live report for a specific day or date range.but sure I'll see how i get on with the programme first

tinjaw:
tomos,

FileHamster is what you are looking for. Some suggestions for you:

* Watch the video tour. In the video you well get a chance to see him add a comment.
* When you install FileHamster, you will be presented with some help files that visually step you through the basic. Look for the Quickstart.
* If you want to take notes while working on the file, instead of waiting until you make a save. Use the Notes Window Plugin.
* Note that you can tweak the settings to change how your files are saved. For example you can keep the last X number of saves. But note that at each version you can override that by choosing to lock that version so that it won't be autodeleted.

tinjaw:
 :huh: Ralf, dude! You're killing me. You are doing everything you can to avoid using an actual version control system. You are doing extra work, that you would get "out of the box" with version control. I see that you said you had a bad experience with VSS, but I beg you, <humor>it is bad enough you are using Visual Basic</humor> but if you would just install subversion and TortoiseSVN, make frequent small atomic commits, and set up svn to insist you add a comment, you could ditch the papernotebook, all those zip files with crazyassed names, and.... Oh, I can go on and on about how you are just making it so difficult when it could be so much easier. And searching through paper notes to find info an a specific date, or build? Tags dude! Oh, I can't bear to watch any longer.  :wallbash:

Renegade:
Hmmm... Interesting topic... Seems to me like NTFS streams would be ideal for this kind of thing. Is that what FileHamster does?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version