ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Versioning of files

(1/12) > >>

tomos:
I know that there's threads with recommended articles about versioning
and it's not that I'm a lazy beggar
(I swear! I'm unfortunately weeks after a new xp install still busy with sorting out problems &, I confess, tweaking ...)

but maybe someone could give me a bit of direction re versioning (then I'll start reading!)

maybe I should start by explaining what I would like:

I'm working on a drawing, lets say a contour map.
I'll save it as "Map"

then I save versions as maybe
Map01,
Map01a,
Map01b,
Map02tonal,
Map03darker,
Map03e (so it lists alphabetically - from d to e)that works reasonably well but I would like a way of attatching
comments that I can easily printout with a file list or simply with associated file name
Lets say I want to send on Map3f to whoever,
it would be great to be easily access/copy the "changelog" from the previous version so I can tell them the important changes made,
or even to access the whole changelog from version one

I have glanced (thats all..) at tortoise svn etc - they do seem to be aimed at developers but may be suitable ?

Or then there's Filehamster (https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=7492.0)
which saves versions but
1) I'm not sure how accessible these versions are outside Filehamster
2) not sure how accessible the comments are
3) I save files sometimes very often - I have a horror of having to redo stuff :) -
I dont want a new version for each save & think that''s what Filehamster does

Then there's the possibility to add comments in ntfs ? (descript.ion files in DOpus ?)

as I say humbly looking for a bit of direction/help,
not afraid to go in the deep end, but naturally the easier the better!!

thanks, tom

justice:
Regarding filehamster,
It saves the files in its own  "library" which is just a hidden folder at a location you specify. All files are available and the revision time/date are in the filename.
You can attach comments to every save as a pop-up comes up with that choice - or comment as yo go along using the notes plug-in.
I'm not sure where these notes are stored however I noticed a library.info file in the library folder location.
You can bring up a revision window with all the versions of the file and their comments however I've not seen a "export to changelog" option. Have a look at http://Mogware Forums you might find information about that there.
all things considered its the easiest but effective VCS I know of.

It just works in the background and when you save a pop-up in the lower right corner of the screen lets you know filehamster saved it, and if you want to add a comment. It's seemless, and if you don't work as part of a team this will suit you well. (obviously you can replace files sent by a team member but you'll have to add in comments yourself IE it doesn't know who made what changes)

f0dder:
When working on media files, and if you have the money to burn, perhaps take a look at http://www.softimage.com/products/alienbrain/ . Don't have any experience with it myself, but it sounds cool enough. And id software uses it :)

tomos:
thnks justice
I had had a look at their site but only now notice they have a forum & a wiki

my fear of too many versions is unnecessary:
Occasionally tell FileHamster to remove unprotected files. Please note that files get set as protected by default when you add a comment.I'll give it a go & let you know how I get on

tomos:
@ f0dder, - hah, money to burn, if only :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version