ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Jeff Atwood revisits the issue of best programming fonts..

<< < (2/2)

TPReal:
I've recently changed from Courier New to Monaco font, and I think it is very good and clear (maybe apart from < and > characters but you can get used to them also). It is TTF but looks nice also in small sizes, and antialiasing doesn't make it look bad.
I think I would use Dina, as I like it very much, but it has no Polish national characters :( that's a pity. I need them.

Ralf Maximus:
ClearType is purely a user preference thang -- either you love it or hate it.  Personally I like it, once it's been tuned properly:

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/tuner/Step1.aspx

It's important that you run your LCD panel at the same resolution as the number of pixels on your desktop -- displaying 1280x1024 on a 1024x768 panel is a mess.  If you have newer video hardware that does anti-aliasing by default, turn that off.  It interferes with other anti-aliasing schemes.

Also, pumping an analog signal into an LCD panel automatically introduces fuzz.  Use DVI if you can -- the extra cost for new video card + cables is worth it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version