ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Jeff Atwood revisits the issue of best programming fonts..

(1/2) > >>

mouser:
From http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000969.html#comments:

I've experimented with programming fonts and IDE color schemes plenty in the past. But now that I've given in to the inevitability of ClearType on large LCDs, I've basically settled on Consolas. It's hard to beat Consolas. It's darn close to the ultimate monospace programming font in my estimation. That's why I was so intrigued when I read about Inconsolata, a non-denominational OpenType relative of Consolas, which unlike Consolas, works equally well with ClearType enabled or disabled.

Once I tried out Inconsolata, I figured I might as well revisit all the common, popular programming fonts under the same conditions. So here goes.
--- End quote ---

Jeff's bottom line conclusion about scalable fonts with aliasing:
Personally, I still don't think anything beats Consolas; it's an outstanding monospace typeface design, highly optimized for ClearType display on LCDs.
--- End quote ---

But do not miss this comment Jeff added in the comments thread:

Of all the per-pixel, fixed size bitmap fonts, I think Dina is the best.
https://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Jibz/Dina/

--- End quote ---

Congratulations to our own Jørgen Ibsen  :Thmbsup:

mitzevo:
Yep, consolas is the shiz.  ;D

f0dder:
I still personally prefer Dina, it's the best coding font I've seen yet. I've never liked cleartype antialiasing (yes, even on LCD/TFT displays), it looks smudgy to me and strains my eyes.

vizacc:
I wonder if anyone used SAP/3 internal font system?

Their SAP Fonts are wonderful for coding. :)

jgpaiva:
I always use cleartype, and thing both dina and consolas are great. I use dina as my primary font for programming, and andale mono for notepad.

Is it me, or inconsolata looks damn fuzzy with cleartype?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version