ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Microsoft providing .NET Framework source code!

<< < (4/6) > >>

Lashiec:
I might get trapped with I'm going to say, but it's what I feel.

It seems to me that Mr. Nichols is a bit misguided in his reasoning. First, Microsoft opening .NET is not different for Mono (giving the conditions) as if Microsoft kept the code under a veil, safe from prying eyes. Second, it's not a trap. Microsoft 'sued' the entire Linux community because they suspected that the kernel contained copyrighted code from Microsoft, and it turned all was for naught. A similar stunt with Mono will go nowhere, IMHO. Third, Mono is primarily developed by Novell, a company that most people has a cooperation agreement with Microsoft. Fourth, .NET extending to Linux and Mac is all the better for Microsoft, as for one day they want to open more fields of business (OK, the Mac is already open). Fifth, there's reverse engineering ;). And sixth, god damn, Miguel de Icaza already said the Mono community should not take a look at .NET Framework source code, I know it's tempting but... In Mr. Nichols defense, it should be noted that both entries were published the same day, so it's natural he wasn't up to date in Mono movements regarding the matter.

BTW, another use for this code opening is hinted at one of employees at Microsoft in his blog. This one came via a complicated interconnection of links, so your head may spin if I detail the entire path (mine is spinning now ;D)

I'll go to a safe place now :P

EDIT: Altered the first sentence in the second paragraph as it was unnecessarily harsh and product of a fast reaction to the article.

mouser:
I certainly don't put dirty tricks beneath MS, but i have to say it does seem a bit of a reach for that article to say that the MS goal in opening up the source code is to trap groups like Mono into using their sources and then claim infringement.

Seems more likely to me that the goal might be to make the source available so that they can get free help improving it and answering security issues, while not giving up any rights and retaining full control.

But just reiterating my previous statements -- making the source code for .net available for reading does nothing for me.  My concern is simply are they going to facilitate cross-platform .net development or make active attempts to hinder it.

Renegade:
I'm with Lashiec on this one. I don't see this as even remotely related to 'taking Mono down'. The article is just more MS hate. At best it is merely link-bait.

mouser:
Scott Hanselman interview (audio) with one of the developers about the open sourcing of .net libraries:
http://hanselminutes.com/default.aspx?showID=101

mahesh2k:
@Renegade:See i toldu it is total waste of time using MS technology.Only thing left now is to create more and more software and documentation for linux.Get yourself interested in linux apple or unix.

MS is actually in need of developers badly they are the one who stole from others ideas and then claim for the copyright violation etc.They are getting hands in every technology they copied Flash to create silverlight.now in future they'll claim as adobe violated some rules.In such case adobe will leave the platform obviusly.

I think we should get involved into linux developement,just have to lower the barrier of linux developement.We need tools to make linux developement easier.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version