topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 10:42 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: WinFix! [was Dr Windows 2!]  (Read 5784 times)

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
WinFix! [was Dr Windows 2!]
« on: August 23, 2007, 03:39 PM »
 :) :) :) :) :)

Hi again all,

I have been working, for the last couple of months, on making a new version of mouser's app, Dr. Windows. It is my favorite DC app to date, and it has gone almost 2 years without an update :o
So, I downloaded, installed and ran Dr. Windows, and have a clone made up. It does NOT (as of right now) have any options, so that is the only thing missing. It will do the following things, (as of right now):

Open (not that this is really needed in a list, but it is something it does :P)
Close
Enable/Disable Protection (exactly like Dr. Windows, the checkbox does nothing. Made it easier on me, too!)
Activate Now (run a joke on demand)
Run a random joke every 30 minutes (if requested, I can change this timeframe).
Upon opening, Dr. Windows 2 welcomes you, and it confirms that it "is loaded and protecting your computer."
Features the About box from Dr. Windows.

It is also faster to load (I think, I will have to confirm this), it allows adding of additional jokes (via AHK), and I am looking into getting an icon now.

I will post here with a more "final" versions screenshots, and after I confirm everything is working.

Thanks all (and mouser, for letting me make it - I wasn't sure about using the same name & configuration, but it looks like its ok),
Brandon

[Ed ... Topic title changed as requested. Carol Haynes]
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 01:09 PM by Carol Haynes »

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Dr. Windows 2!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 12:13 AM »
Ok, a little update before I hit the bed.

Fortunately, I was able to recreate most of the Dr. Windows dialogs, and edited them a little bit. BUT, they don't work. ;D I am using brand new code, so I will tinker a bit. I am sure its a simple 30 second fix, but you never know. :-\

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 12:22 AM »
maybe this should have a slightly different name since dr.windows isnt a completely dead project.
maybe "Professor Windows" ?

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 06:22 PM »
maybe this should have a slightly different name since dr.windows isnt a completely dead project.
maybe "Professor Windows" ?

Ok, sounds good. I'll be sure to change it ASAP. :Thmbsup:

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 12:55 PM »
OK, here is what has been done so far-

I changed the name to WinFix, so if mouser or someone could change the topic name that would be big help and be worthy of a... smileyface :)
;D

I have everything working with the exception of...

The code is broken! I don't really know what is going on, but I am going to find out. It is one tiny piece I have pinpointed it to, but it stil might take a bit of work.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 01:00 PM »
I think that if you want to change the topic name, you just need to modify the subject of your first post.

Good luck with your problem solving!
 :)

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: WinFix! [was Dr Windows 2!]
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 06:27 PM »
I think that if you want to change the topic name, you just need to modify the subject of your first post.

Good luck with your problem solving!
 :)

Didn't know that  :o :-[
Thanks for the info (and the luck)!

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Sad news, well, kinda.

I was in the process of cleaning up my directory that holds my scripts and whatnot. I access it via my home network, my old computer holds my data (therefore when a Delete is made, it is not possible to retrieve).

While doing this, I moved (Cut & Paste) the WinFix script from an archived folder to a newer folder of programs that may or may not be further developed. Well for some pointless, unknown reason, Vista decided to make it into a folder. Ignore the .ahk extension, just go on and make it one.

After a few minutes of panic and attempts to get it back, I just deleted it. I DID, however make a backup copy earlier this morning (:)) but I don't think I will work on WinFix anymore.

I have to go get some stuff at Lowe's right now, when I get back and find my files I will upload the AHK so anyone can go ahead and try to fix the bug that keeps it from opening "error" files, and enjoy tweaking it to their liking.

I was so close too, just one error. Oh well, hopefully someone here at DC can have some fun with it! :)
-Brandon

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
WinFix is now open-source
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2007, 03:17 PM »
OK, here goes. This is open-source-do-whatever-you-want-with-it now, I have officially given up on it. Hope someone has fun with it though. Hehehe. :P

AHK and EXE versions included, errors are NOT (6MB+ of errors...). If you want the error exe's/ahk's PM me and I'll send them off your way!

Enjoy,
-Brandon