ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

IE is working, Firefox is not. Why?

<< < (3/4) > >>

superboyac:
Well, I tried changing my DNS settings to these two numbers that were in my router's config, but that didn't help.  I also looked at my network settings while in safe mode, and they were the same as in normal mode.  Even with the altered dns settings, firefox worked in safe mode.

I'm really thinking about uninstalling Kaspersky and seeing if that does the trick.  The whole thing just doesn't make sense to me.

superboyac:
Well, for anyone interested...

I uninstalled Kaspersky and everything is back to normal!  Yes!  So, the old adage is true, multiple firewalls and/or antivirus programs don't exist well together.  i will soon reinstall Kaspersky and hopefully everything will still be working.  Thanks for the help guys, but, honestly, you were no help.  It was all me.

Just kidding, I'm in a good mood, that's all.

Dirhael:
In the future if you encounter such a problem, it could be that your winsock chain gets corrupted. If so, you could try:

--- ---netsh winsock reset
Followed by an immediate reboot of the system.

superboyac:
Very interesting!  I will save that and remember it.  Is that what normally causes firewalls to conflict with each other in cases like this?

Dirhael:
Very interesting!  I will save that and remember it.  Is that what normally causes firewalls to conflict with each other in cases like this?
-superboyac (October 03, 2007, 10:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not really, as I think most firewalls installs as a ring 0 driver. However, many security programs install parts of itself as a winsock provider and can cause anything from slow connections to no network access at all. Applications like virus scanners that has a http scanner will always(?) install a component there.

If you want to check out if you have anything redundant there, you can use the "autoruns" sysinternals tool :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version