ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

alternatives to partition magic/paragon?

<< < (4/7) > >>

f0dder:
Hm, I don't have a "Memory" performance object in perfmon.msc (I need a reinstall soon >_<), so I can't check the "Page Reads/sec" description - but my guess is that it's general paging (not pagefile!) operations - memory mapped files, for instance, depend on the processor's pagefault mechanism to work.

tomos: yep, I run with pagefile disabled, and things generally run hunky-dory (2 gigs of ram). Applications that depend on the pagefile are generally ill-behaved resource pigs that don't manage memory themselves. I had a few problems when I had one gig of ram, the game painkiller would crash sometimes, but with 2 gigs I haven't had problems yet :)

Carol Haynes:
You could always have a small fixed size pagefile just to keep naught apps happy. On the settings page it suggests an absolute minimum size of 2Mb - but I'd guess you could donate 100Mb without missing much.

[deXter]:
It isn't a panacea though as many programs don't behave well and use their own temporary files - usually stored in your user profile hidden "Applications" or "Local Settings" folders and I haven't found a way to move those off the system drive yet.
-Carol Haynes (September 30, 2007, 06:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

• Head over to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

• Edit the Local AppData string.

I've been changing my %tmp% and %appdata% since Win2k and haven't faced any compatibility issue yet.

Carol Haynes:
Yep - I knew about that reg key

Does any one know a way to move the whole user profile to a different partition,

eg. move C:\Documents and Settings\Carol and everything in it (including the user profile files etc)

to D:\

[deXter]:
^
 • Head over to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

• Select your account's sub-key by looking at the ProfileImagePath string on the right-pane.

• Once you've found the appropriate key for your account, just edit the ProfileImagePath string.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version