ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

alternatives to partition magic/paragon?

<< < (3/7) > >>

tomos:
Imho there isn't much reason to have your pagefile on a separate disk - ideally, it shouldn't be used very much... stuff more RAM in your PC if it is.
-f0dder (October 02, 2007, 03:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

with 2GB of ram & for some reason the pagefile wasnt being accessed (I believe that was the problem)
I couldnt go into hibernation with FF + 40tabs open.
dunno did it say "not enough resources" or "not enough virtual resources to .... your API"
apologies about the vagueness of text :-[

but it's sorted now, one fixed size paging file on hdd2
as I said above:
(I also had small [paging file] on C drive but was having difficulty with some programmes &
hibernation till I got rid of the one on C..)
--- End quote ---

which makes me think I'm sticking with a paging file, but with all that I suspect it is used very little while I'm working..

Oh yeah,
I added Photoshop Scratch disks to the partition with paging file (& temp/internet stuff as well) -
at least that way they're all out of the way  :)

Carol Haynes:
Imho there isn't much reason to have your pagefile on a separate disk - ideally, it shouldn't be used very much... stuff more RAM in your PC if it is.
-f0dder (October 02, 2007, 03:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's true that if you have lots of memory (2Gb+) then PageFile shouldn't be used much but it is used. Here is my current system:

You can see that all apps still grab at least a small slice of the pagefile - so it may as well be in the fastest place possible.

I suppose if you want it really fast you could put it on a fast Flash Drive!

f0dder:
"Paged Pool" doesn't mean it uses pagefile memory - it's kernel mode memory that can be paged out to disk (as opposed to memory from the nonpaged pools). Here's quoting the "explain" box from perfmon.msc (a really useful tool - start->run, performon.msc, <enter>).
Pool Paged Bytes is the size, in bytes, of the paged pool, an area of system memory (physical memory used by the operating system) for objects that can be written to disk when they are not being used

--- End quote ---

Carol Haynes:
"Paged Pool" doesn't mean it uses pagefile memory - it's kernel mode memory that can be paged out to disk (as opposed to memory from the nonpaged pools). Here's quoting the "explain" box from perfmon.msc (a really useful tool - start->run, performon.msc, <enter>).
Pool Paged Bytes is the size, in bytes, of the paged pool, an area of system memory (physical memory used by the operating system) for objects that can be written to disk when they are not being used

--- End quote ---
-f0dder (October 02, 2007, 06:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

Here is mine (OK the CPU is under load - green trace). The thick red trace shows the Page reads/sec. so th Page file is pretty active with 2Gb of RAM on my system. All that is running (apart from a few tray icons no doing much) is a bit of downloading from the web and a DVD recoding in process (which takes up the CPU cyles)

By the way it is PERFMON.MSC

tomos:
I've read though (sorry couldnt tell you where)
that if these apps want the option to page out to disc,
it can cause trouble if there's no paging file there at all..
(sort of like they just need the reassurance :) )

were you saying somewhere f0dder that you don't use a paging file?

EDIT sorry Carol didnt read your last post before posting this

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version