ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How Can I Globally Rename the File Types in WinXP Pro (SP2)?

(1/3) > >>

J-Mac:
I am SO tired of having to have a ridiculously large column width set for the File Type column in my Windows file explorer.  I can remember when a JPEG was called just that - JPEG. Now, on my machine anyway, all file types are named after the default application that a file type opens with.

Instead of seeing JPEG, CSV, Excel, or Word, I now see ACDSee Pro JPEG Image, Microsoft Office Comma Separated Values File, Microsoft Excel Worksheet, and Microsoft Word Document. At the default column width it can be difficult at times to see what file types I am looking at unless I widen that column a lot.

Is there a way to set the file type to the old, short version?

Thanks.

Jim

Curt:
Do you need to see the file types column at all? You could go to Tools > Folder settings > Show, and remove the mark from "Hide known file types", and then remove the types column. I did that.

J-Mac:
Do you need to see the file types column at all? You could go to Tools > Folder settings > Show, and remove the mark from "Hide known file types", and then remove the types column. I did that.
-Curt (September 29, 2007, 12:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

I already have all files showing -- (hate hidden files!!)

I solved it the hard way; I edited each file type individually.  :mad:  However for all image file types and HTML file types I had to go into the registry and edit them there - neither changing them in Directory Opus's File Type Editor nor Windows Explorer Folder Tools>File Types would do it for those.

Curt, I like to see that column.  Makes it a little easier for me with very similar but different file types, like XLS and XLT, etc., where they use virtually the same icon. I would have thought that with all the various XP tweaking tools around that there would have been a global way to do this.  Actually there probably is but I wanted to get it done last night.  Someone with programming or scripting knowledge probably could write a batch file or use a series of Command line switches and commands.  I'm not quite knowledgeable enough to do that, though.

Thanks!

Jim

tomos:
there is somewhere out there is a little plugin (I presume) that will
allow you to have a column with just the file extension .exe/whatever in Windows Explorer
(an extra column)

I even downloaded it at the time but using dopus never bothered with it & cant find it now
did a google search too - no luck, but maybe someone else knows about it?

Curt:
Hmmm.... if you like that column you should keep it of course, but I do need to stress that I did not suggest to "Show hidden files", but to NOT "Hide known file types"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version