ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Best FTP Server

ASRT: Ftp Server Review Thread

<< < (3/3)

mouser:
ok sounds good, we'll do ftp server next week maybe.

now for this week..
maybe explorer replacement would be good, though that ones going to be so contentious im not looking forward to it :)

zridling:
mouser: "I would have to make sure the reviews maintain a standard of quality + depth, and at last some continuity in terms of approach to reviewing and evaluating software."

That's the key — you'd need to serve as managing editor. If for no other reason to maintain consistency among reviews to meet the "DCC standard" with regard to looks, content, etc. When you consider that a review will have a half-life of 6-12 months before needing to revisit that category, quality and coverage is the key. As for physical exhaustion, I can testify! Even on my site, which has 6-10 capsule reviews and descriptions per update usually twice a month, it takes a minimum of 8-20 hours to complete an update between two versions of the site, the RSS feed, write and edit the reviews, compose the screenshots, notify and communicate with the developers, and that doesn't include the days or weeks spent testing the app itself within the window of its trial period. In other words, it's a labor of love!

vegas:
I would also like to add Typsoft FTP Server (http://en.typsoft.com/) for next weeks review, a program I only recently discovered.  Not very feature packed, but a good simple way to throw up a quick, stable, easy to use FTP server for free. I have tried many others including BPFTP, Serv-U, Gene6 and others, but they have features not always needed.

zridling:
Kudos to tenseiken and DCC on another great review. I've no need for an FTP server, but I know people who do, so it was nice to learn from it. Thanks for all the hard work!

vglass:
For a platform independent server (Linux, Mac OS X, Windows, Solaris) have a look at JSCAPE Secure FTP Server

http://www.jscape.com/secureftpserver/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version