ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Requesting new organization ideas for fresh windows installation

<< < (4/6) > >>

wolf.b:
Hi all,
I know it's too late as reinstalling windows this weekend sets a time frame that has expired. I just followed the link on the newsletter from Oct 15 2007, right after registering which encouraged me to post. So my first trial at participating is this:

I have partitioned my HDD since many years this way:
  - Drive C:  primary partition, contains files required to boot OS (I can choose between different versions)
  - Drive D:  first logical partition, contains folders TOOLS, Tools32, TotalCMD. It is formatted as FAT16, and can be accessed by all installed OS's as D:. The TOOLS folder contains DOS-Tools, and the Tools32 folder contains portable stuff. So I can use them when booting from floppy, LS120, CDROM or USB stick.
  - Drive E:  Windows partition. I have several to choose from. Win98, Win2k, WinXP all think they are alone, because only one is visible.
  - Drive F:  stuff that is worth backing up, but not on previous drives. Folders are Setup, Projects, Documentation
  - Drive G:  everything else, mainly Backup, ISO Images, Games

I know this is not really a new idea for organizing a Windows installation, or a new idea at all, but may be interesting to some. By the way I have batch files that take care of which of my primary partitions gets control, and which of my Windows partitions is visible.

I offer my apologies to the readers in advance if I am off topic, but I am still practicing.

Wolf

Darwin:
Welcome to the site , Wolf, and thanks for contributing  :Thmbsup:

CleverCat:
Don't bother reorganising Program Files. Life's too short. Except for those programs that install themselves in their own folders on the root (OS excepted). Reorganise those using the uninstall option. They were obviously written by idiots  ;)

Have a folder on a different drive called StuffIveInstalled. Put your installer files in there. Rename them from grjdlstp.exe or whatever to the program name, and put the version number in the name too. If you got (say) an emailed registration code, save the email as an .eml and rar the whole lot up together (plus any saved configs, that kind of thing). You can also put info in properties, summary, simple view, comments to guide you on settings if you need to reinstall.

I also have a folder called YeOldeInstallers just in case an upgraded version sucks and I want to rewind  - TMPGenc DVD Author - that means you  :D

And I've another called TomorrowNeverComes for freeware stuff that I download but never get around to trying out - though getting into that one is an achievement; most don't even make it out of Downloads  :-[

From there on it depends on what you actually do with your PC - I have mine project based, with personal stuff completely separate, though I can never really get to grips with personalish work stuff, no matter how many shortcuts I drop into folders.

Whatever you do - make it easy to keep going. Or it wont. And yes, its do as I say, not as I do  :(

Oh, and take regular Ghost snapshots - easily worth the money, though if there was something just as good without those damn services muscling into autostart I'd dump it in a minute  :-\

-jpcjpc (September 27, 2007, 04:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

Is it ok to rename install files - will they still 'work'?

tomos:
I have partitioned my HDD since many years this way:
  - Drive C:  primary partition, contains files required to boot OS (I can choose between different versions)
  - Drive D:  first logical partition, contains folders TOOLS, Tools32, TotalCMD. It is formatted as FAT16, and can be accessed by all installed OS's as D:. The TOOLS folder contains DOS-Tools, and the Tools32 folder contains portable stuff. So I can use them when booting from floppy, LS120, CDROM or USB stick.
  - Drive E:  Windows partition. I have several to choose from. Win98, Win2k, WinXP all think they are alone, because only one is visible.
  - Drive F:  stuff that is worth backing up, but not on previous drives. Folders are Setup, Projects, Documentation
  - Drive G:  everything else, mainly Backup, ISO Images, Games-wolf.b (October 19, 2007, 04:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

hi Wolf -
wilkommen  :)

I has a few queries..

C is tiny then i presume..

D you say is "TOOLS, Tools32, TotalCMD" (that Total Commander?) -
where do you put other programmes - presumably they go in with the Windows install ?

E - Is that Primary too?
I was considering putting XP not on C lately but was dissuaded - have you ever had trouble with the different path?
Apparently there can be trouble restoring Ghost images to non C drives - dont know is this a problem with other imaging software

& something that keeps cropping up in various threads - what do you do with paging file(s) ?

tinjaw:
Is it ok to rename install files - will they still 'work'?
-CleverCat (October 19, 2007, 05:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes *

* There is a very very very very very very tiny chance the developer is crazy and wrote special code into the installer to check the name of the installer. But stranger things have been spotted in the wild.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version