ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Requesting new organization ideas for fresh windows installation

<< < (2/6) > >>

nite_monkey:
I will have to I guess see what I end up doing with this information in mind, if anyone has any other ideas, let me know before Friday or Saturday.

Darwin:
Thanks for the thread, nite-monkey. I've just been rationalizing taking the plunge and doing a clean install myself. If nothing else it will clear up some minor (but big to me!) problems that I've been having. We've been kind of spoiled with XP in that I've not done a complete format and fresh install of XP in literally years whereas I used to have to do one regularly (every 6 months or so in 9x). Might as well bite the bullet and do it and this thread has given me some ideas  :)

nite_monkey:
yeah, I don't reinstall xp much either, only when my system gets to cluttered, and I can't find much, because of all the stuff I am to lazy to remove. Plus fresh installs just run a whole lot smoother.

Darwin:
Plus fresh installs just run a whole lot smoother.
--- End quote ---

That's what I'm hoping for! Next Wednesday afternoon seems about right... My wife is off to Korea for 16 days, leaving me to bond with my offspring <gulp!> - I'll sit and mindlessly shuffle discs in and out of my computer and watch the little cherubs run amok.

laughinglizard:
I will have to I guess see what I end up doing with this information in mind, if anyone has any other ideas, let me know before Friday or Saturday.
--- End quote ---

Having partitioned my hard drive, I tend to install most things on my D: drive.

On my C: drive, I usually have folders for Downloads, .exe's with key codes, one for the stuff I always put on my computer after a clean install, and one for drivers.
I also have a folder called Backup, so that random things I want to back up have a place to go.

I have folders for text files and image files, and those have subcategories.

Like nudone says, I try to get things to install in as easy a place to access as possible.

I don't have a lot of stuff in My Documents - the backups for Roboform, Evernote, and Firefox extension and back up all go there.
It tends to be a holding pen for stuff I'm not sure what to do with but eventually file or toss.

I use Installpad to download the newest versions of programs I use, like Firefox, ccleaner, zip and defrag utilities, Foxit etc.
You can get it here, its freeware:
http://www.installpad.com/

You mention your icons - I have mine in the Quick Launch bar and launch programs by clicking on the icons.

There is a informative thread on this topic at Lifehacker (from some time ago. I thought the best ideas were in the comments under the article.
http://lifehacker.com/software/desktop-search/file-organization-strategies--filing-versus-piling-238339.php

You can put a shortcut to your folders on your Quick Launch Bar, and I believe on the Start Menu as well.

If you want to color code your folders, I'm particularly fond of iColorFolder, its freeware as well.
http://icolorfolder.sourceforge.net/download_icolorfolder_page.htm

I hope everything goes smoothly for you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version