ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Shareware that don't have freeware replacements

<< < (9/11) > >>

f0dder:
Personally, I couldn't find a freeware replacement for SpinRite.
-[deXter] (October 02, 2007, 12:54 AM)
--- End quote ---
Snake Oil works just as well.

Nighted:
Personally, I couldn't find a freeware replacement for SpinRite.
-[deXter] (October 02, 2007, 12:54 AM)
--- End quote ---
Snake Oil works just as well.
-f0dder (October 02, 2007, 03:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

iphigenie:
That's not fair. Spinrite recovered data of a dying drive for me once, when all else failed and the other alternative was spend £400 for recovery services. It also recovered everything on a drive where the partitioning had been messed up by a linux installation.

I don't necessarily know enough to determine whether the "preventive" claims of spinrite are anything, but the recovery tools are real.

f0dder:
That's not fair. Spinrite recovered data of a dying drive for me once, when all else failed and the other alternative was spend £400 for recovery services.
-iphigenie
--- End quote ---

It is fair - Gibson's marketing is full of made-up buzzwords, without much description of what's actually performed. He has all his friends and paid minions write rave reviews, and say oh-how-much it has saved their butts.

And what does it really do? Read and re-write sectors, thus utilizing drives built-in scratch-sector relocation mechanism. Fancy ascii graphics to make it look techy. Oh yeah, and "writing magic patterns to re-magnetize the drive". Yeah. Right.

Also, because of what it does, it might actually make your situation worse, at it puts a lot of stress on your drive. never use spinrite on a defective disk without imaging it first.

Yes, I'm harsh, but I have a really big distaste for people that are close to the conman level, but pretend they're gurus.

It also recovered everything on a drive where the partitioning had been messed up by a linux installation.
-iphigenie
--- End quote ---
Spinrite doesn't do filesystem recovery, it only "fixes bad sectors" - so you must have used some other application as well.

Armando:
I tried 'System Rescue CD', 'Insert', and 'Tom's Boot Disk (floppy). I could not get anything intelligent from any of them, but I heard they are fantastic - for those who know how to use them.

I also tried the Ubuntu live CD. Looks great, but how do I get access to my hard disk?
-heinziten (October 02, 2007, 02:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

Try gparted or partimage. You'll need a CD burning software to make your boot CD or DVD. With gparted, if you end up at the console, just type "vesa" for your graphic driver — but everything is very clearly explained on the screen anyhow.

You could definitely use your Ubuntu CD (it will take much longer to boot the CD though...). I don't have Ubuntu now, but just find the partition manager : System -> Administration -> GNOME Partition Editor.

You could also read these short explanations :

1.10.7 Hard Drive
1.14 Windows
(http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Feisty)
But I’m pretty sure it’d be easier and quicker with the gparted or partimage editors.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version