ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Looking for an E-Mail Client which can be run on an USB Stick

<< < (7/7)

Carol Haynes:
I thought all POP clients had a 'leave a copy on the server' option - you usually set it up in the account set up section.

Surely the Bat has that option too?

npopuk:
Ah haaa... the former moderator of BATPOWER_UK puts in an appearance...   8)-rjbull (October 02, 2007, 05:07 AM)
--- End quote ---
Ah!  Too true!  Never got beyond batch file programming on the PC.  That's why I just do the documentation these days!

(Better explain to Carol, BATPOWER_UK was FidoNet echomail.  FidoNet was an amateur version of the internet from the days before the public had access.  Echomail is the equivalent of Usenet/Newsgroups.  None of it was anything to do with "The Bat".)
Is nPop one of the ones that leaves the mail on the server,
--- End quote ---
Like most programs you have the choice.  The defaults leave it on the server and only downloads the first 100 lines of each message, but you can change everything.  Some people just use it as a mail notifier (downloading no message content at all) as it uses so little resources.  Downloading a limited number of lines means that you can leave giant attachments behind and still read the message, are pretty well immune from viruses carried in the HTML part of mail, etc etc.
and you have to deliberately specify particular messages to be saved to disk, as opposed to something like TheBat! which saves everything in a database?
--- End quote ---
There's no database (messagebase to the FidoNetters amongst us!).  Messages for each account are saved in a file as plain text (if you want to!).  Makes it beautifully easy to interrogate old mail, even if you give up the program.

Greg

Carol Haynes:
(Better explain to Carol, BATPOWER_UK was FidoNet echomail.  FidoNet was an amateur version of the internet from the days before the public had access.  Echomail is the equivalent of Usenet/Newsgroups.  None of it was anything to do with "The Bat".)-npopuk (October 02, 2007, 11:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry I was responding to the paragraph immediately before my post which referred to TheBat!

rjbull:
I thought all POP clients had a 'leave a copy on the server' option - you usually set it up in the account set up section.

Surely the Bat has that option too?
-Carol Haynes (October 02, 2007, 05:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

Wasn't very clear  :( what I was asking, was nPOPuk's default to leave everything on the server but not to save anything to local drive unless specifically requested.  With TB! you automatically save everything to your local HD.   It has endless options for leaving/selectively deleting from the server, depending on your requirements.

rjbull:
(Better explain to Carol, BATPOWER_UK was FidoNet echomail.  [...]  None of it was anything to do with "The Bat".)
-npopuk (October 02, 2007, 11:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

Oops, I overlooked possible confusion there   :-[

The defaults leave it on the server and only downloads the first 100 lines of each message, but you can change everything. 

--- End quote ---

Thanks - sounds good!

There's no database (messagebase to the FidoNetters amongst us!).  Messages for each account are saved in a file as plain text (if you want to!).

--- End quote ---

Just like Fidonet *.MSG   ;)

Makes it beautifully easy to interrogate old mail, even if you give up the program.
--- End quote ---

I should think desktop search engines like Copernic can easily index simple files like that.  I see that Archivarius can index Squish message bases, but oddly that's the only native Fidonet format it mentions.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version