ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

RESOLVED Help please - 16 bit program woes under XP Pro Sp-2

(1/3) > >>

Darwin:
Hi all,

I use an antiquated 16 bit package to analyse 3D morphometric data on Neanderthal, early anatomically modern and modern human crania. All good fun... For some reason, the software (Morpheus - not to be confused with the old P2P client) will no longer run on my computer (running the 32bit version of XP Pro). I can copy the program directory onto a USB  thumbdrive and run it without problem from other computers running Win2k, XP Home and XP Pro but on my computer, running either from the stick or from the directory on my harddrive, opening the application and then clicking anywhere on the toolbar causes it to crash with the following error (note that I had to record the process with Blueberry Flashback Recorder in order to be able to read the error message it flashes by in a millisecond:

RESOLVED Help please - 16 bit program woes under XP Pro Sp-2

I've tried a number of things - reexpanding autoexec.inf, config.inf., and command.com from the OS installation disks, searching for any duplicate dlls elsewhere on the harddrive (there weren't any) in case of a versino conflict, and throwing my cookies at the computer. None of it has helped in the slightest...

Any thoughts? This used to run on this computer no problem... so I am assuming I have a conflict somewhere.

cranioscopical:
Any new context-menu entries that you can  turn off temporarily?  That trod on one of my applications and drove me nuts until I woke up to it.
Does your Morpheus run in safe mode?

scancode:
That looks like an ASPack/ASProtect error, got a lot of those when 'debugging' those apps... Maybe that app is ASP*d or you're running an ASP*d app?

Darwin:
Hmm... the context menus might be a good place to start - mine are way out of control. This will force me to rein them in, even if this doesn't prove to have been the problem!

As far as I know the neither this app nor any other that I run is ASP*d. I've certainly never packed its exe or any other exe and I don't *think* the author has done this, either. Do  you know of any way to check my other packages?

Thanks for the suggestions!

tabletguy:
Have you tried setting compatibility mode to Windows 98SE, etc?

Just create a PIF shortcut (should happen automatically for 16 bit apps anyways), then check properties, and change the compatibility mode.

That always works for me on programs or old games.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version