ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Acronis True Image OR maybe not ???

<< < (5/7) > >>

Carol Haynes:
DriveSnapShot looks really good - I may give it a go.

The only drawback I can see with it (in principle) is that backing up to and restoring to removable media (such as DVD+R) is not supported. Sure you can set the maximum backup file size and burn them manually but they would have to be copied to a partition or a network drive before you could restore them.

MrCrispy:
Another program to consider is Paragon Drive Backup. Its more power user oriented than Acronis but as a result has more options and configurability. I have not had any issues with using it and feel safer.

edbro:
I rely on Drive Snapshot for automated backup, the destination being a dedicated partition on each HDD.  When it's full, I either remove some differential backups or I transfer them to an external dedicated HDD.  When it's full, I then burn DVD.
-MerleOne (September 24, 2007, 02:11 PM)
--- End quote ---
What's the use of backing up to a partition on the same HD? If the hd goes, both partitions are going with it. At least you should backup to a dedicated partition on the hd other than the source.

MerleOne:
Actually I am using a second HDD to save the images on.  But even if it wasn't the case, HDD hardware fault are fairly seldom nowadays.  Most restoration needs come from software I have installed that damaged somehow my system. And, as an extra security, I transfer the old images to an external USB HDD on a regular basis.

tomos:
Yes, DriveSnapshot is a wonderful program.  :Thmbsup: I don't like bloated applications and so I never liked Acronis TrueImage or O&O DiskImage.-ad-min (September 24, 2007, 01:08 PM)
--- End quote ---
yeah,
I was a bit shocked by the Acronis download - 100+MB
install is 36MB + 196MB in common folders....
what is in there ???!!!

For the moment I4W doesn't propose incremental/differential backups.  Also, backups are not encrypted whereas drivesnapshot also has encryption.

The strong point of I4W is its direct DVD burning engine that can create bootable restoration DVD.  I try to backup all my main partitions with it every month (I manage 4 PC at home).-MerleOne (September 24, 2007, 02:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

did I miss something here (?)
whats 14W?  :)

to console myself for having bought such a monster (Acronis 11) I can point out that incremental backup is (hopefully) more of a space saver than Differential

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version