ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Acronis True Image OR maybe not ???

<< < (4/7) > >>

tomos:
Personally if I were to buy it now I would buy TI 10 and not go for TI 11 (even if you can find a cheap copy). IME Acronis will take 3-6 months to make TI 11 bug free.

As a company it has an interesting approach. The corporate versions are at version 9.1 (I use TI 9.1 Workstation) and hasn't seen any sort of update since February. Basically they only seem to move on the corporate versions after home users iron out all the bugs. In other words home users pay to be beta testers!
-Carol Haynes (September 23, 2007, 04:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

oops too late, I got the "Beta"  :)
Interesting,
at no stage was I asked the previous registration number -
11 is installed now, its possible it picked up on the older installed version, installed to a different folder though
("True Image Home" as opposed to True Image)

It claims to check/verify the image - was very quick about it so dont know how dependable that is...
(wouldnt like to be that much of a beta tester..)

mwang:
The newest version of Acronis True Image (v11) has the ability to let you exclude certain files and folders from the full drive imaging.-mouser (September 22, 2007, 04:23 PM)
--- End quote ---
This was already there with  True Image 10, which I'm currently using. I have very bad experience with them, however. See here if you care.

Edit: Serious bugs with ver. 10 include one that requires one to repair after restoring an image under Vista. It's well documented, and its cause was found. It's because TI 10 couldn't handle Vista's new partitioning rules well. Dig a little on their official support forum and you'll see. If those considering ver. 11, you might want to check if this has been fixed first. (Note: only partitions newly formatted by Vista are affected.)

MerleOne:
Actually there is an alternative one should really look at : drive snapshot from a German developer: http://www.drivesnapshot.de/en/

This small footprint program is really very powerful, does differential imaging, allows for excluding files & folders, has many interesting options.  Combined with BartPE CD for bare metal restoration, it is quite powerful.

Can even image floppy disks and USB sticks.

For a more polished GUI, there is also O&O DiskImage 2.1.  I must say I have made many successful system disk (XP) restoration with drive snapshot, never really with diskimage 2.1.

DiskImage 2.1 also does incremental imaging and allows to merge incrementals with the base image if required.  Unfortunately incremental imaging is not faster than full imaging, it only saves space.  Drive snapshot differential imaging is much quicker.

Drive snapshot has a powerful yet easy command line interface that makes it simple to schedule backup using XP  task scheduler.  It seems O&O DI2.1 lacks any scheduling function.

Just my 2 cents.

ad-min:
Actually there is an alternative one should really look at : drive snapshot from a German developer: http://www.drivesnapshot.de/en/
-MerleOne (September 24, 2007, 10:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, DriveSnapshot is a wonderful program.  :Thmbsup: I don't like bloated applications and so I never liked Acronis TrueImage or O&O DiskImage.

Another great program (very small and fast) is Image for Windows (www.terabyteunlimited.com/imagew.html), but I don't know whether it does incremental imaging.

MerleOne:
For the moment I4W doesn't propose incremental/differential backups.  Also, backups are not encrypted whereas drivesnapshot also has encryption.

The strong point of I4W is its direct DVD burning engine that can create bootable restoration DVD.  I try to backup all my main partitions with it every month (I manage 4 PC at home).

I rely on Drive Snapshot for automated backup, the destination being a dedicated partition on each HDD.  When it's full, I either remove some differential backups or I transfer them to an external dedicated HDD.  When it's full, I then burn DVD.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version