ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

All your info in one place

(1/3) > >>

JennyB:
From Web Worker Daily

Those of us who use the web all day long, every day, probably have signed up for at least a couple dozen different information services, all with different login information, all storing different information for us.

We might have a to-do manager, a contact manager, a bookmarking service, a project management service, a wiki, multiple email accounts, lists, multiple online documents, or one of the many other services available for managing our information.

Trouble is, that can make things a bit disorganized. Our information is spread through various sites and services, some of which we use infrequently. We might not remember where everything is, and even if we do, it takes a minute or so to locate it, login, and access the information.

You can simplify this and keep yourself organized in one simple step: keep all your information in one place.

It doesn’t matter where that place is, as long as it works well for you and you use it regularly. But just this single act will keep all your information at your fingertips, and keep you organized in a way you may never have been before.

So how do you do it? Here are some suggestions:

1. Pick a location. There are many places you could use for your info. Google Docs, a wiki that you can keep on your own server or on a flash drive, Backpack, a plain old paper notebook, a binder, any list service, an email account, a secure web site, Evernote, Google Notebook, a text file. Actually, any place you can store info works … just choose one that works well for you. I recommend something searchable, and if you use multiple computers, something online.
--- End quote ---

So What works for Your "One Place?"

BTW, the author of this piece has a bolg called Zen Habits which is a great source of ideas for living simply.

justice:
i've started using http://jungledisk, which uses http://amazon s3.
for 12 cents a month i store my keepass passwords,todo lists and anything else i can save to a file on there and it appears as a webdav mapped drive in my computer. that way i can keep using all the programs i already use but always work on the most current information. plus its a great unlimited storage backup service too.

and it works with all synchronizers in case you want to synchronise application settings or something.

nudone:
i like the sound of jungledisk but it's probably more than i need...

can anyone recommend a simple ftp client that will automatically synchronise a few files for me when i shutdown the computer - and i suppose it would make sense if it also synchronises when i first log on to the machine.

i'm sure there must be a lot of utils that will almost do this but are there (m)any that will automatically check the files on the server with your local machine at machine startup and shutdown?

(i'll only be transferring small files. i just want it to be automatic so i can leave it running and forget about it.)

steeladept:
I don't know of any that will FTP like that - sounds like a good coding snack...

mwb1100:
can anyone recommend a simple ftp client that will automatically synchronise a few files for me when i shutdown the computer - and i suppose it would make sense if it also synchronises when i first log on to the machine.
-nudone (September 21, 2007, 01:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

SyncBackSE will perform a sync on shutdown/logoff and logon.  I imagine many sync utilities will do this.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version