ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Equivalent to Foldershare?

<< < (3/5) > >>

yksyks:
If anybody is interested in my very short experience with PowerFolder: I realized soon that for some reason it blocks Alt-PgUp and Al-PgDn shortcuts, which are inevitable for Adobe InDesign, so upon every restart I just stopped PowerFolder, saying to myself that I'll have to investigate or eventually disable it later. This repeated several times and I completely forgot about it. Needless to say that I've never synchronized a single bit using it. After today's restart this window appeared:

So I finally uninstalled it without further investigation. Would you trust such an application?

Never mind, in the meantime I humbly returned to FolderShare and I must say, except rare cut-offs, it runs quite well, synchronizing several thousands of files without any problem.

kartal:
yksyks

I have used PF for long time and I do not think PF deserves negative attention. However  as I said before it is expensive to me.  Also their online storage offer is just too expensive compared to alternatives. That could have been a nice offer 4 years ago but now it is expensive and all you get is 1 gb file storage.

There are couple good things about it thou

-It is under constant developement and you can leave feedback or ask for features in their froms. They seem to take their app serious and try to improve it as much as possible.
-Cross platform, it works under any java supporting platform
-You can create different profiles (more extensive than Folder share). For example you can create project (check in check out style)  profile, or just download or upload etc profiles
-There is no sign in, sign out like FS. This has been one issue that kept me away from FS. As long as you know ip numbers it is easy to connect. It also suppoorts custom dns names.

As far as blocking shortcuts goes I totally agree with you, it sounds like a bug thou. You might want to drop a line to the developers at least they know the issue. I know you wont use it but this can be a nice feedback to let them know.

I hate their free version and the pop up as well!

cmpm:
I've been using Syncplicity for a while and it works for me.
Pretty fast and smooth without overloading my computers.

http://www.syncplicity.com/Pricing.aspx

I don't know what the others charge but this good for me.
I use the free one so price isn't a consideration.

yksyks:
-There is no sign in, sign out like FS. This has been one issue that kept me away from FS.
-kartal (July 10, 2008, 09:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

You mean sign in on the web page? I almost don't use it. I've just set up a couple of libraries comprising over 7000 files to be synchronized and since then it works unattended.

I use the free one so price isn't a consideration.
-cmpm (July 10, 2008, 09:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

According to the link you provided:

Free during beta, pricing starts July 28, 2008.
--- End quote ---

So the free version will soon be over. I can't afford paying for this, especially when I'm almost satisfied with FolderShare.

The problem I had with FolderShare was caused by Excel, which changes the timestamp of the opened file to the current time, and changing it back again after closing it without any editing. This obviously confuses all real time synchronizers/backups/versioning systems. Anyone having an idea? This is my biggest pet peeve with Excel (at least versions 2000 and 2003).

tomos:
The problem I had with FolderShare was caused by Excel, which changes the timestamp of the opened file to the current time, and changing it back again after closing it without any editing. This obviously confuses all real time synchronizers/backups/versioning systems. Anyone having an idea? This is my biggest pet peeve with Excel (at least versions 2000 and 2003).
-yksyks (July 11, 2008, 03:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

apparently it's solved in the new file-format but that no solution for a lot of us :)
same problem with Filehamster too - see this FH thread

I opened an xls file with Star Office & it didnt get updated by Filehamster - havent tested it beyond that because I rarely use xls files but could (possibly) be an option
I guess the only other option is to backup xls files in a different manner :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version