ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How do you launch stuff?

<< < (5/27) > >>

Darwin:
Direct Acess for programs I use  often every day  
FARR for programs I use occasionally and for programs I know I have but don't always know where
-ljbirns (September 19, 2007, 12:38 PM)
--- End quote ---
Ditto. This is getting repetitive as I've had to say "ditto" about using the same workflow as ljburns in a different thread on the FARR boards  :D

Armando:
Direct Acess for programs I use  often every day  
FARR for programs I use occasionally and for programs I know I have but don't always know where
-ljbirns (September 19, 2007, 12:38 PM)
--- End quote ---
Ditto. This is getting repetitive as I've had to say "ditto" about using the same workflow as ljburns in a different thread on the FARR boards  :D
-Darwin (September 19, 2007, 05:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

But can't you guys create specific aliases (or boost scores) in farr for those apps you use everyday? How is Direct Access more convenient?  :huh:

Darwin:
To be honest Armando, the thing I like most about DirectAccess (and to a lesser degree ActiveWords) is the ability to simply type an abbreviation, word or phrase followed by a trigger and having a file or a program open up (or boilerplate text inserted, etc.). It all happens in the complete absence of a programme interface. It might just be the gee whiz, neato factor, but I've been using this type of launcher for three or four years and still love it...

A contributing factor is simply the fact that I bought ActiveWords a long time before I discovered FARR and got used to working like this. I *should* try running with FARR only. Darn it! I will... I expect I'll fall back into this pattern because it's very comfortable and I am sentimental - I paid for DA so want to use it! I've also gotten used to using it and like it... For a long time, as an aside, I couldn't get the FARR alpha to work (it does so now, brilliantly) which is one reason I turned to DA from AW.

Darwin:
PS Just noticed dirhael's post above - he hit's the nail on the head for me with:

Hehe, see the problem is that I just can't decide which of them to use. I mean, I like both programs...
--- End quote ---

About sums it up for me. Every so often I still fire up ActiveWords as well...

Sue me! I'm a software junkie  :D :P

Armando:
[...]the gee whiz, neato factor [...]
[...] it's very comfortable and I am sentimental [...]
-Darwin (September 19, 2007, 06:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

These are good reasons ! Even a scientific like you needs to satisfy these needs.  :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version