ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How do you launch stuff?

<< < (26/27) > >>

Darwin:
Here you go tuxman! 40hz just posted a link to CSMenu in another thread, which gives you the classic start menu under Windows 7 (and Vista?).

Tuxman:
I saw this and already bookmarked it, but that doesn't give me my classic taskbar back, does it?

Darwin:
I saw this and already bookmarked it, but that doesn't give me my classic taskbar back, does it?
-Tuxman (November 19, 2009, 12:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

Er, no! However, one tip I've seen is:

Quick Launch is still available, but it's hidden by default. You have to know where to look:

C:\ Users \ username \ AppData \ Roaming \ Microsoft \ Internet Explorer \ Quick Launch

"Simply create a new toolbar and point to this location. You'll have to enable 'show hidden files' to find it."

--- End quote ---

Courtesy of Windows Secrets newsletter, November 12, 2009.

Tuxman:
Sounds quite interesting... I wonder why they do this.

MilesAhead:
I use a hodge podge:

FreeCommander for opening media files with an info app, subtitle utility, player, skwire's PlayTime etc. since I have those tools in the toolbar configured to open the selected file.

In Vista I use QuickLaunch.

I use my own ReOpen mostly to reopen folders.  If I type a substring that's not in the list I hit ^c and that brings up Everything Search and enters the substring.  A middle mouse click on the desktop brings up the pop-up window.  No taking my hand off the mouse unless I want to type a search string.

For launching with highlighted text such as opening another browser I use my own Selector.

I made 6 categories of folders for application shortcuts.  I had these in a folder on the desktop, but I moved it to Documents so that it's hidden and put the 6 categories on RocketDock.  Not a single desktop icon now.  I don't care if AutoArrange is on or off anymore!

FARR.

Everything Search.

7stacks.  Just gives more room on the QuickLaunch or Taskbar.  The apps I use most I put in categories such as Internet, Editors, Media(such as Imgburn and encoding apps), File Handling such as FreeCommander, my own Hotkey utilities.  An ordinary folder could do the same but the pop-up glass panel looks cool and it's free so why not? :)

The Windows Start Menu is the last resort.  Usually to look for a Readme file or an uninstall that may not be in the Programs and Features list.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version