ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How do you launch stuff?

<< < (21/27) > >>

Darwin:
What I love about Dash is how resource light it is. Having said that, DirectAccess and FARR are much better at playing nice with other keyboard-centric programmes (Dash mangles a few features of SpellCatcher Plus. Fortunately, these are features that I don't use so I've simply disabled them). I actually have found that I am so conflicted now WRT which of the three* I like best that I'm not using anything at the moment!

*Being a software junkie sucks...

tinjaw:
*Being a software junkie sucks...
-Darwin (October 04, 2007, 09:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

We should start Crackware. The first hit is always free. You can run the software once, for free, then you must pay. :)

Darwin:
Now that I have a new notebook running Vista Sp-1, I've gone nuts with my XP Pro machine. I'm indulging my software addiction on it and have LOTS of stuff installed (whereas the Vista machine stays lean so I can work with it). Thus, I have numerous file managers installed, numerous office suites, numerous... you get the picture. So... in addition, I have FARR, DirectAccess 2 beta, Dash Command, ActiveWords, and Humanised Enso installed and alternate between them. I also have QuickSilver installed on a Mac running Tiger and am very impressed by it, as well...

At the moment I am playing with Humanised Enso and am pretty impressed by it. Holding down the CAPS key isn't nearly as "bad" as I thought it would be, now that I've given it a chance and read the rationale behind it. Discovering that you can just select text, hold down the caps key and type "upp" and have Enso covert it to upper case removes my objection about occasionally needing the CAPS function.

nite_monkey:
The way I launch apps is I have a folder on my d drive that I put a shortcut to my programs that I want to launch, and I name the shortcut ~appname. I then have that shortcut folder added to the path environment variables so that I can just hit win + r and type ~appname into the run dialog and my program opens

nontroppo:
Darwin: agreed that the pseudo-modal mode of Enso is more useable than many people criticize it for. But I still find Enso frustratingly limited to use. I want to like it, and love the principles, but it is so broken in so many ways. They have an alpha next-generation build which is much nicer, but its really just an ugly hack, and now they're working for Mozilla, Enso has basically died...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version